• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lower unit question

Holy Canvas

I've got an old Johnson 9.9 (a '77 I think). It's in great shape, and has run pretty well the last couple of summers. I pulled the lower unit plug last fall, and the oil was a little milky. I replaced the oil, but my question is this, and probably stupid but.......

Do I replace the bottom plug first, so the lube doesn't all run out, or the top plug? I've heard/read in more than one place to replace the top plug first. Is this so it's not overfull? When pumping in the lube on my little 9.9, it sure didn't seem like it needed much. If I replace the top plug first, it seemed like there wouldn't be anything left in there by the time I got to the bottom plug. Sorry for the dumb question

To drain your lower unit oil, pull the bottom plug, then pull the top plug. The top plug holds a vacuum, so little oil runs out until the top plug is removed.

When filling, fill from the bottom plug until a clear, non-bubbly stream comes out the top hole. Put the screw in the top hole (holding a vacuum), then put the screw in the bottom hole. Filling from the bottom gets rids of any air bubble / trapped air.

marine_man