• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fish Pain?

s2h

Do fish feel pain when they are hooked? I searched it on the internet and there are studies that say yes and ones that say no. I personally dont think they do when hooked in the lip. But wonder when the fish swallows the hook, if it hurts them or not.

Probably does hurt....but not on a level like we experience and identify pain. Most wild things have a way different pain system then what we have.

They are moving and living in a whole different world, far removed from ours and their nervous systems are way different!

How the wild things would equate pain, I don't profess to know, but I do know this, I don't clean live fish if I can help it. I let the live ones sit in the fridge until the next day and then clean em, or sometimes if I'm limited on time and have to do it right away, I rap em in the head a few times until they go stiff and start to quiver and as soon as I'm done filleting, I break their backbone just behind the head to make sure.

The experts would probably know if fish feel the pain....you know, the people that have never fished a day in their lives and have no actual hands on experience in the field....they would know. They always know....they'er experts. Now if you can find an expert.....

It's funny though. If they do feel pain, they don't really show it. I've had bass that have hit my crankbait 3 times before finally being hooked and I've even had them hooked for a while and they still come back for more. It sure makes you think.

sice Ive had both my lip and tongue pierced, I suppose I could answer this...

crazy

I would assume in the lip being its all cartalage It would not hurt not so much. Swollowed I would assume is would hurt. But yes I do think animals register pain differently.

and no having a needle shoved through my tongue or lip didnt hurt at all. a sharp needle or hook is nothing compared to a dull torn gash. How many times have you sliced your finger on something very sharp and just looked at it and didnt feel a thing? Hooked your hand on something dull that took a chunk out?? OUCH!

fishing-woman.jpg

This largemouth species doesnt seem to be wincing....on a serious note ye they prolly do but it is different than what we conceive pain as.

Drewski, maybe the lakes you fish are full of S&M Bass thats why they keep biting wink.

It depends on what you want to call pain. Pain is too subjective. What I consider pain is different from what you might.

Fish don't feel pain like we feel pain, but they definitely feel something. Their nervous systems are advanced enough they some sensation that could arguably be defined as pain. It's something that is necessary for survival.

i think the onlt reason why fish swim away is because they don't know what is going on. i mean something is pulling them, and their away of thinking is to get away from what ever is pulling them. thats what i think.

I don't think it is painful for fish. I don't think a fish has the mental capacity to be able to recognize the diff. b/t instinct and feeling; everything is just instinct. Instinct tells the fish that getting hooked, poked, cut, whatever is dangerous so out of instinct they thrash or jump. If they felt pain they wouldn't fight back b/c it would just hurt them more.

Maybe this is totally off, but it's just what I believe.

I think that they may feel pain in all parts of their bodys. But that their boney, thin skined, mouth areas where created to be able to eat other spiny things like other fish and crayfish that could give them a little pain. If they felt it all the time, they may just go hungry then do that again?

Lot's of opinions. Not much evidence being presented here...so I'll toss in mine. I don't know about the pain, but assume that most of what we see is fight-or-flight characteristics. They are smart enough to know to try swimming away from something that is trying to pull them in. When they are out of the water, they realize that something is different and try to wiggle their way back into the water.

Reasoning that they feel pain just because they flop when you pull out a hook is faulty logic. Correlation does not equal causation.

It would be good to read some actual research. I'm sure that a marine biologist could settle this whole thing quickly.

i saw an article in i think field and stream a couple years back that had a study saying that fish lack the nervous system to register pain like we do. obviously there is a sensation that they will feel when being attacked or hooked, but it may be that it is a different sensation as others have said

Outdoor life has an article saying Fish are incapable of feeling pain the way people experience it. "On the basis of brain anatomy," noted the scientists, " it seems highly unlikely that fish experience pain in the same manner as humans, because fish lack a neocortex, the brain structure that enables the sensation of pain in higher vertebrates."