• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

your favorite/funny muskie fishing experience

Lets hear your best storys,, One of my favorites was when my girlfreind and I went to tonka, after me begging her to come with me for about a hour she finally broke. we get out there casting for about 2 hours at this time it is about 10pm "dark" I always joke with her if she drops her rod in she better go in after it. All of a sudden i hear a splash see just the soles of her shoes she dove in head first!!! im in shock what he$$ is she doing she pops up and says I got It!!! I was crying laughing needless to say our night was done.. I got pics of her soaking wet in the middle of the night wish i new how to post them. The whole way home she was yelling at me it was my fault for begging her to go.

I have kind of the same story. A friend of mine was casting a hawg wobbler in the back of my boat. I heard a little scream and look back and she was falling in the water. This was in October and the water was pretty cold!! I got her out and she wanted to go in and I said no!! So I gave her an extra pair of clothes and we started fishing again. She does not drink while she muskie fishes anymore!!

i was maybe ten or twelve and my uncle Don, Me my Dad and my Grandma were fishing. the guys were bobber fishing pike, Grandma was panfishing. i don't remember the lake but it was in hackensack. we were getting a few good pike, then Grandma was pulling in another pounder bluegill and as she raised it from the water she was reaching for it and a muskie came up and grabbed it almost taking her hand with it. i never heard her cuss once before that. but boy she made up for it. she was so rattled she stayed on shore in the bar for two days and never landed a fish again without a net till the day she died.

I was talking to a guy who was trolling by, and his rod just gets smoked by what he thought was a fish. He sets the hook and yells, "I got one!" Only a few seconds later his line goes limp, and he calmly says, "another prop." He must have had a ton of line out as there was another boat driving thru the area. Yes this was in the metro area in the middle of the summer, who would have thought. smile

One of my favorites is actually about muskiedreams. Hope you're not offended md! So last summer we're talking pretty regularly about where we're fishing and what we're seeing. I'd heard plenty of stories about how he got his girlfriend, for this story's sake let's call her Courtney (cause I don't remember but I think it started with a C) into muskie fishing, which was pretty cool. And one day we're talking and he says last week they got 7 fish in one night up on V, with her catching a 52 incher. A few days later we're on our way up to ML and he's out on the water. Says his phone is going dead so when I get up there call him on his girlfriend's phone and gives me the number. A while later we call, a female answers, I say Courtney? She disgustedly says "No! and hands the phone to md. I get him on the phone and say what the h**l? He says he broke up with her last week and this is a new one. I said you are my hero - train a gal in to go muskie fishing with you all the time, break up with her, and you've got another one out there netting your fish a week later! Not sure you should have let the first one go though, she could have probably taught you a couple more things! The other one is my dad dropping my rod in the lake at the access in the dark one morning and it still being there 4 hours later after he caught his first muskie.

I took a month off from work last Sept in between changing jobs and durring that time I became friends with a guy from California that has a place on Leech. (He had never caught a muskie before) we had been out 3 times that week with no luck. We decided to throw a couple casts on the break right off of his dock and after a couple casts his reel burnt up and I offered one of mine but he said "no, I'd like to use my back up" (which I latter found out was a 6'6" Custom St.Croix Legend Elite medium bass rod)... so he grabed a bucktail that I had never thrown out of my box (for good reason) and on his first cast I hear (THERES ONE!) and I look back and see a monster smoke his bucktail on the first turn of the 8. Gotta give him credit for that but he set the hook really hard and the fish did a tail dance on the water right past me all teh while I am yellin FREE SPOOL, FREE SPOOL, then he reeled it back to the boat while holding the rod up high and the fish came out of the water and hit the top of the gunwhale and almost landing on my feet. Then it went on a run and I was telling him to get the fish turned and he did which I was a little skeptical of but he did and into the net she went. She was a very fat 49 3/4"er so then I told him to get the camera while I get the hooks out and when the hooks were out he says, I forgot the camera on the deck so I said start the motor and when I lift the fish into the boat drive as fast as you can and run up and get the camera (I knew that he was going to get a replica and this was his first muskie and I hadn't measured her yet and I thought she was well over 50. Well, when he rolled up to the dock going 50mph he was so excited that when he was jumping onto his dock, he fell straight into the water which was neck deep and ruined his new Blackberry... I held the fish in the water while he ran up and got the camera. We got the pictures and he now has a beautiful replica over his fireplace and my bucktail that I sold to him for a steak dinner at the Lucky Moose. One thing that kills me to this day is that when I measured the fish, I was in such a hurry to get it back into the water that I didn't pinch the tail so he could say that his first Muskie was a 50'er. oh well, and yes, the fish swam away and is perfectly healthy. Then we went back to the same spot and 15 mins later I put a 46 in the boat.

My buddy and I are casting Jakes at an island...it's October, the lake is flippin', and we're enjoying a picture perfect day...He fires off a cast and gets a "professional overrun"...

"S--t" He starts trying to straighten out the rat's nest, and I continue my retrieve, get it back in the boat, and ask if he needs a hand..."Nah, I'll get it." A light breeze is rocking the Jake back and forth...Tick...Tick...You can figure out where this is going!

All of a sudden the water explodes, and a big fish destroys his bait..."What the h--l??!!" He reaches down, picks up the rod, sets the hook...then drops it back down, grabs the line , and pulls the muskie hand over hand toward the boat...

The muskie does absolutely nothing but lazily swim to the boat and sit there...I drop the net in the water, he pulls it in,I scoop her...Then she goes ballistic!

After a short episode, the fish calms down, he pops one hook, and we measure her at just over 50... He lifts her out of the water for a quick pic, sets her back in, and off she goes...Don't think that fish had a clue 'til she was in the net...Unreal, when you're lucky...you're lucky! gringrinlaugh

Paul.

Opening day 2006, my freind and I take another freind who has never muskie fished before with us. I'm in the front casting and have a rod laying on the floor, my rookie friend is in the middle casting and hooks what could have been his first muskie ever, but it got off and he lost it.

So the 3 of us are laughing and joking about it ("that's not a good way to start your muskie carrer....why didn't you set the hook better you Nancy...") and my rookie friend who is laughing with us isn't really paying attention to what he's doing and as he pulls back to cast hooks my BRAND NEW (remember it's opening day) Shimano Compre rod/Abu Reel Combo and casts it into the water. Without even thinking I dropped the rod I was using and dove into the water after it, in the process kicking my dropped rod into the water.

I grabbed the first rod as it was sinking and was able to scissor the rod I was using in my legs, my hat floated long enough that I was able to recoup that also. In the end not one piece of gear was lost and it made for a good story.

Few years back on our annual trip to LOTW, we were fishing the Big Narrows and decided to head into Wiley Point for some lunch and a nice cold Labatt's Blue. While we are eating, we find out that Bob M is having his Muskie School during this time. It was right before their afternoon classes were to start, so all the guys were coming back in. So we finish out lunch and are down on the docks getting the boats ready to head out when this kid comes screaming up to the dock in his boat. Come to find out that his dad and him are part of the school and his dad was in the cabin taking a nap, so this kid was fishing the bay. Low and behold he catches a monster pike. Must have been close to 45"! He asks me if I would take his picture with the fish before he released it, so everyone would believe that he caught a fish this big. His biggest to that point was like 6 pounds. Of course I agree, he gives me the camera, bends down to get the fish and as he is picking it up, it gives a wiggle and he drops it in the lake and it swims away! The look on this kids face was undescribable. We all held our laughter in, as we didn't want to make him feel worse than he already did, but I bet they heard us laughing all the way down the lake.

I did give the kid my phone and email and told him that if anyone doubted he caught the fish to call me and my whole crew would verify it for him!!

Don't know if this is funny or just stupid.....probably the latter of the two. Last year during Operation Muskie I was fishing with Pete Maina, and we come around this point of an island. There standing up on the island, maybe 20 feet from the waters edge, is a nice big black bear. Paying us no attention. So I tell Pete, "What this I will scare it!" I was throwing a DCG at the time. So I launch this bomb cast towards the bear....only problem is that I just wasn't so accurate with my cast. While the lure is flying thru the air, I hear Pete say "I don't think this is going to be good." Instead of landing right on the waters edge, the bait lands about 6 inches in front of the bears nose! Needless to say it did scare the bear away, and with one big yank, the lure was back in the water. The 3rd guy in the boat looks at me and says matter of factly "I don't think the net would have been big enough!"

Lesson learned...........LEAVE THE BEARS ALONE!!!

Quote:
Don't know if this is funny or just stupid.....probably the latter of the two.

the third choice would be ''illegal''. just a warning. if a C.O. saw it you'd pay a heavy fine to a charge of ''harrassment or otherwise harming wildlife''. if it had been hooked and a C.O. saw it you'd be stuck with the bill for romoveing the hooks and any medical needed. maybe, more than likely without a good lawyer, lose your license (fishing/hunting)for at least three years and maybe see some solid steel bars from the inside of a cage for a spell. your a lucky man i'd say. wink

I have had this happen twice. The first one is the best though grin

While fishing on Vermilion 10 years ago-- I had a enthusiastic muskie angler in the back of the boat. He had been fishing muskies for several years and had not had a lot of luck. He is in the back of the boat as we work along a weed line. Midway thru the weedline he has a fish smoke his bait (Harraser bucktail-out of nowhere) just as he went into the L turn. His drag was tight and the fish was just throwing water all over the place head out --cool to see and then she was gone cry My friend has to sit down and regain his composure for 5 minutes. VERY next cast a fish smokes his bait on the L again -- white water everywhere-- head thrashing, head thumps the boat and by by crymadcrazygrin My friend sat down in the boat while I finished fishing the weedline. I don't remember how long it took him to cool down. I bet he still shakes his head to this day grin

On another occasion same situation, guy in back is throwing a 9" Suick-- goes into the turn fish smokes bait out of nowhere--- head thrashing -- water flying--gone mad my friend shakes his head checks his hooks and mumbles something. 30 yards further down the line another fish comes out of nowhere and smokes his Suick again --- repete, cuss, cuss some more while I laugh

Fun times

Steve

Cousin while reeling in a muskie on Big Mantrap during heavy mosquito/ bat time of the night got his string from hooded sweatshirt wound in the drag/reel, the reel was about an inch from his face, he said cut it, I said the line are you crazy, with headlamp I was able to see his dilema, he still had about 15 feet of line out and no more chance to reel any more in. the 46 incher was jerking him around and creating much havoc, I cut it and we landed and released the fish.

On opener a few years ago I fished with two buddies of mine. Through a series of bad luck/poor planning (at least for her) my wife ended up in the boat with us from about 3:00 to sundown. We fished for about six hours and didn't move a fish- nothing. Just as we were getting ready to pull the plug on the day, my buddy Jon said, "C'mon, something exciting has got to happen!" Within two seconds of him saying that, the clicker tore off on my wife's sucker rig. We'd put it off the back side of the boat while she suntanned/read/napped. She landed her first muskie that day- a very fiesty 38 1/2 incher. She sure thought it was funny that the three of us had pitched a few thousand times and not seen a thing and she caught one while lounging around in the boat for the day.