• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Scaling Fish?

Itsa Pole Bender

I moved from MI to MN back in 2003. Back home I ate a lot Perch and have finally been able to get into them here in MN (although mostly through the ice). I have always scaled them and cooked with the skin on. I do prefer them this way and from what i am told sunnies and Crappie are better this way as well. In MI my family has a very old cast iron potato peeler we use to scale our Perch and there is no way they will give it up so I can have it here.

The potato peeler consists of a cast iron bowl affixed to a cast iron stand. Inside of the bowl is a steel disk with a bunch of raised points on it (think of an orbital sander) that spins. With a water hose and a bucket you can scale about thirty fish in roughly 1 1/2 minutes.

So my question is - Does anyone know of or use a good electric scaler? Doesn't have to be a potato peeler, just something that actually WORKS!

I realize that limits on perch, sunnies and crappie are lower here and I won't be sitting down and scaling the numbers I would in MI, but I would still like to find something that will be quicker and cleaner than doing it by hand.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.........

^^^ werd... its quite ridiculous to pay for an automatic scaler.. especially when the cheapest i saw was a $100 on the search.. $20.. maybe. but like you said... a spoon.. or even a serrated knife would do the trick.. or how about a scaling knife.. they are only like $5...

^^^ werd... its quite ridiculous to pay for an automatic scaler.. especially when the cheapest i saw was a $100 on the search.. $20.. maybe. but like you said... a spoon.. or even a serrated knife would do the trick.. or how about a scaling knife.. they are only like $5...

I doubt he was looking for everyone's opinion on how much should be spent. Just suggestions of options. I think its redics to spend 40K on a fishing boat, but I'm not going to tell anyone with a boat like that they shouldn't have it. To each his own.

Anyways...My father in law has a scaling machine that someone custom made for him. I dont have any pics but I'll try to describe it (with a drawing). Could be a fun project for someone.

scaler.jpg

Bottom is a stainless steel tub that is filled with water. Then in the middle is a stainless cylinder that has a ton of short sheet metal screws in it (points sticking into middle). The cylinder is on a shaft with a small electric motor on it (same idea as a rotisserie). There is also a door to put the fish in and take out. And a bunch of small holes to allow scales to fall out and water to come in.

Fill the bottom with a hose. Throw the fish in the cylinder (could probably hold 50+ panfish) and turn it on for about 4 minutes (or less depending on number of fish. Pull fish out, partially fillet or gut them out, cook them up.

LightingBG..... I have seen a few different models similar to the one made for your father-in-law. The one he has sounds like it may work quicker than the ones I found though. I have thought about making one of these myself if I can't find exactly what I am looking for. Thanks for the support

As for everyone else......... thanks for making this site so enjoyable to be a part of. Makes me wonder why I bother.

I have a automated fish scaler it is a 10 year old model. If I am lucky my sister will bring up her 13 year old model to help. Every year the fish scaler gets better and better and has started to even double as a fish cleaner/gut hole digger. They are very useful and to clean them you just throw them in the lake. The are fairly expensive but you get to pay for them over 18 - 21 years.

Dude, they're perch. Use a spoon.

Takes about 20-30 seconds to do one side of a Crappie or Sunnie.

Can't imagine a perch would take any longer.

And do it under water. The scales won't fly off the fish and scatter about the room.

Try it and you will see eek Those perch and walleye scales are like...well, perch and walleye scales, they just don't come off....but I did hear a little tidbit the other day on how to scale em real easy....dip em in boiling water for a second or two. The guy said the scale come right off.

As for everyone else......... thanks for making this site so enjoyable to be a part of. Makes me wonder why I bother.

Are you mad because they gave their input? A spoon would work just fine its portable and cheap. I hope you can change your attitude towards people on this site, I have yet to meet someone I don't like. Fishing Minnesota is a top notch organization.

Quote:
I also feel that that at times I read posts that would be best left unwritten.

Oh. You mean like this one?

Quote:
LightingBG..... I have seen a few different models similar to the one made for your father-in-law. The one he has sounds like it may work quicker than the ones I found though. I have thought about making one of these myself if I can't find exactly what I am looking for. Thanks for the support

Pole bender you hit the nail straight up. Many times the sarcasm, is not called for, some guys are trying to be funny but it dosen't come to.

How my former boss made one those machines pictued. They used while salmon fishing in lake Michigan, to put the perch caught when the lake was to rough. thtow in perch go get a beer or your fav. bev. sit back, relax for awhile. Then go out, very minor finish work, and start frying. Wish I had one.

Pole Bender, I found a couple commercially available products similar to what I was describing. This is what they look like.

SSDoorClosed.jpg

This one is called the Slick Skin Drum Fish Scaler

Also came across one called the Tumble Drum.

Edit: Looks like they run about $200-$350

Thanks LightningBG -

The cheapest one of this style I have come across is $199. I am going to try some antique stores to see if I can locate an old potato peeler. If I can't find one I will end up fabricating one. I have few different designs in mind with this style being one of them.

Again, thanks... I appreciate you following up and providing the feed back!

They do work great (seen one used numerous times) and I tried to order one off thier HSOforum but for some reason it doesn't work. I sent an e-mail to them to see what is up but I haven't heard back from them yet.

Quote:
check out the Cyclone Fish Scaler. $49.95. rough Paddle that attaches to an electric drill, put into a bucket of water.

I have one of these at home. My wife picked it up at a garage sell. I have never used it though. You do need a larger size drill to use it. As I said before; if I keep fish and scail them I'm a spoon guy.