• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

my first open water bass of the year!

carpmanjake

went out today. was fishing a backwater bay for crappie

ended up finding a bunch of bowfin in a small crick. sadly i lost the only one i hooked up with. the fishing was slow. but i finally hooked up with a fish

my first open water bass of the year. 2lb 7oz =]

100_0317-1.jpg

eventually i got a couple crappie both were small but crappies none the less

100_0319-1.jpg

100_0320.jpg

Looks like your bass is a proof positive that catch and release works.. Looks as though its been caught a time or so before. Those Bowfin can be quite pretty this time of the year and as it gets closer to spawn.. Love how blue their bellies get.

oh ya. the neon green. i was talking to a guy about that yesterday. im gonna try and get the really bright male thats down there and show him tonight. the get just beautiful

How do you catch a bowfin? besides on accident

you can bottom fish for them with dead shiners, smelt, crawlers, frogs, cut bait. anything

i often stalk bowfin (walking the shoreline and look for them) then i pitch a shakey worm, bass jig, or preserved shiner on a jig. gets em everytime

Hunk o Hotdog will get dem doggies. Well it did when I was 12 off the dock:)

Small bassjig (bitzy bug) put right in front of their face works almost everytime. They are pretty aggresive

I'll grab just about any fish, but a barker is always removed via pliers.

One quick dog story. I was fishing a club tournament on Farm Island flipping the rushes. I stuck a largemouth right around 5 lbs. Next flip, I stuck another monster fish, towed him in and it was about a 6 lb. dog. After tieing on a new jig, I flipped in again, and stuck another big fish. Another, barker and this one was bigger. After tieing on yet another jig (the first two were mangled), we relocated.

Biggest one I ever caught was on a buzzer.

I fished a gander mtn proam on Minnetonka about 6 years ago.. Was throwing spinnerbaits on a weed flat.. I caught one that measured 42" if i remember right, on my tournament scale it went 13.2 lbs.. I knew it was the state record at the time, but I had 5 nice bass already in the well.. and knew that thing would pert near kill all the bass.. so I put it back.. my only witness was the guy in the boat with me.. Dont really even care if any one believes me..

I fished a gander mtn proam on Minnetonka about 6 years ago.. Was throwing spinnerbaits on a weed flat.. I caught one that measured 42" if i remember right, on my tournament scale it went 13.2 lbs.. I knew it was the state record at the time, but I had 5 nice bass already in the well.. and knew that thing would pert near kill all the bass.. so I put it back.. my only witness was the guy in the boat with me.. Dont really even care if any one believes me..

Was it Matty? He had a question like that for a give away a few weeks back. It wasn't like that, it was that exact situation.

.... so I put it back.. my only witness was the guy in the boat with me.. Dont really even care if any one believes me..

I always keep my cheap digital camera with me just for thsee occasions ... Ironically, I caught my personal best pike while fishing alone, only to realize I took the camera out of my tackle box frown

That fish must have been an absolute beast and a crazy fight to get that one landed. My son-in-law caught a 7#er on wacky worm setup .. lots of fun.