Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Here-Kitty-Kitty

Stock fish traps

6 posts in this topic

Ok so I have never used a fish trap. Do you guys cut the holes larger in the traps, or keep the stock? I was looking at a few the other day and the holes look like a bully wouldn't fit through it. Am I crazy for thinking this. My old ladies family have a nice little pond that is chalk a block full with'em.

check the fish regs on the size of fish trap openings..not sure what it is but I know there is one.

I cut my openings to 1 1/2" which is the legal limit. See page 70, Minnows and Leeches:, 2009 Minnesota Fishing Regulations for minnow trap requirements.

im actually modifying a few of my traps. im extending them out to about 25 inches in length. You can buy the extensions to make them longer but I figure if I got the equipment i might as well make them myself. The length cant exceed 30 inches and can't have a height greater than 15 inches.

they make a square one at fleet farm that have vary size openings and bullheads fit into it you can find one that is 1 and 1/2 they great i trap cheek chubssuckers and bullies in itand i think they are only about 10 bucks