• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Knife sharpener recomendations

I've got drawers full of old filet and utility knives. I just don't have the time nor patience to sit with an oil stone and hand hone them. Anyone have any suggestions on or happen to own an electric sharpener you really like? Price range is totally open because I could save a pile of dough on all the old knives that end up in the garden shed. Any suggestions?

Two years ago I stumbled on the best home knife sharpener by far, it's called the Smith's knife sharpener at Cabelas for about $99. Takes about 10 swipes per knife thru the stones and you are set. I do alot of home cooking and fileting of fish and I always have sharp knives. My Dad was so impressed with mine that he went and got my mom one for x-mas gift. Don't get the Chef's Choice that they sell because that one is junk. If $99 is too steep, I've got all kinds of hand knife sharpeners that I will sell you take your pick Gatco, diamond stones, etc.

I never had the skill (how do you maintian a 23 degree angle!!!), patience, or time to shapen my knives manually, consequently I had the dullest knives around. Then my wife got me the three stage Chef's Choice - I love it!! It takes me 5 minutes to sharpen my fillet knives and all my kitchen knives, and they all come out sharp enough to slice a tomato!!! You only use the third, coarse stage on really dull knives, most of the time you just hit it twice on each side on the medium and fine stages. Chef's Choice!!

I never had the skill (how do you maintian a 23 degree angle!!!)

That is a skill. The only people that I have seen first hand that are good at it are meat packers from the early days that had to sharpen their own kinves before their shift. I hunt and fish with some old schoolers from the meat packing early days and these guys can fillet a fish in seconds and butcher a deer in rapid time. I use a stone and ceramic and can get a good edge but I am not very fast at it. Is a good skill to learn though.

I sharpen lots of knives. This contraption is easy to master and will produce consistent results with a great degree of control over the angle of an edge. Have it for 3 years now, very happy.

I can sharpen my knife scary sharp with a honing stone alone, but who's got the time... As a result, because of how easy the Apex is, ALL my knives ALWAYS are the sharpest.

Tip: get at least two spare coarse stones for grinding that first-time angle.

I have always used the sharpening tool that came with my block of knives. You know that metal rod thing. We have set of Wustoff (sp?) I believe.

The block of knives came with a video showing how to sharpen properly and after watching that and a little practice I can sharpen all the knives in the block in just a mintue or two.

The key seems to be not to let them get super dull in the first place. A good maintenence sharpening is much easier, 2-3 swipes on each side of the blade and its done (literally 10 seconds).

Maybe I have some sort of crazy skill I never knew about but its been very easy and our knives are is as good of shape now as when we bought them 6-7 years ago.

There is a guy in Burnsville who I take every knife to and he is EXCELLENT. I doub't I can put his address up but contact me below if you want it. I have brought a bunch of stuff to him and he is a perfectionist. If you value a sharp knife you will not be sorry you did.

[email protected]

Another vote for the Chefs Choice!! After using ours my son even bought one. And previously he would always use a stone as he claimed that was the only way to get a sharp knife. The three stage is the best.

I have a chef's choice for my kitchen knives.

However, for my fillet and hunting knives I use a Lansky sharpener. It allows you to pick from 4 different angles and guides you to keeping it the same all the time.

With any sharpener you will probably have to train the blade first (get it to the right angle) and then it should work well for the sharping the blade after that.