• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

whos spot is it anaways?

broken_line

this year while ice fishing i set my house off a point and a guy came a day later and fished, caught a ton of crappie then called it "his" and got mad at the other people around him because they were on his spot... i would imagine this sort of deal applies to OW also. the way i see it if something has more than 2" of water in it and is accisable by public property it is every onse lake and everyones "spot".. just wondering about others opinions on this subject..

I agree with boilerguy.. People should respect that someones already there, and back off a little bit. I know for me.. its no fun when you're working a certain section of weeds, bullrushes, lillies, etc. and someone else pulls up 15 feet away and starts casting right where you are. That really ticks me off. People need to know to not just close in on a guy like that.

Just my opinion.

Most fisherman realize that there are only so many lakes and a lot of fisherman. If your fishing a popular lake, your gonna see other people in your fishing area. Some fisherman don't realize this, they think they own the lake and anyone who comes within 100 meters of them is encroaching upon their territory. They are just selfish and unreasonable. They don't own the lake and they need to realize they are not the only ones fishing.

As Al Linder says, only 10% of a lake is fishable. All the fisherman are gonna be hitting that 10%.

^^^ yea.. that obviously makes sense.. but when a guy is fishing right next to your ice house? then i think that guy had no right to yell at him and call it "his spot" when obviously this guy had his house on that spot

Yes i agree but ice is a little different because you're not throwing lines. And yes it was very very wrong for telling people it was "his spot" on the ice. But open water is a whole different story.. someone could park 15 feet away from you on the ice.. and on the open water if someone gets within 20 feet of me! ill be a little angry, where as on the ice thats NOTHING!

The only time I want to call a spot mine is when I pay a too much money than I care to admit for a fishing trip to middle-of-nowheresville fly-in only lakes. But usually in those cases there's more than enough lake for people to fish and I've never had a problem with anyone pulling a boat in close to fish near us.

how do you feel about trout streams? personally i try to stay away from confrontation with other anglers not to disturb their fishing.. but today i came to a spot.. that i wanted to explore.. never fished before.. another car was there.. i never did run into the other angler until i was walking back to my truck and he was driving off.. but say you're working up a stream and you come into contact with him.. do you lay off and walk back? or do you go walk past him? and keep going up/down stream?

Originally Posted By: itchmesir
^^^ yea.. that obviously makes sense.. but when a guy is fishing right next to your ice house? then i think that guy had no right to yell at him and call it "his spot" when obviously this guy had his house on that spot

Yes i agree but ice is a little different because you're not throwing lines. And yes it was very very wrong for telling people it was "his spot" on the ice. But open water is a whole different story.. someone could park 15 feet away from you on the ice.. and on the open water if someone gets within 20 feet of me! ill be a little angry, where as on the ice thats NOTHING!

i would say overall 10yards is the personal zone... if you're within that 10yards of that person.. you're playin it a little to close.. but only if the area is being heavily fished.. if its just you and another guy and you

re within 10yards of each other.. its a little too close for comfort

i once had a guy pull his huge fancy rig up about 15 feet outside the door of my shack and then pulled 3 or my 4 tip ups out of the hole to check depth and then set his house down 5 feet from one of my tip ups. i was alittle heated to say the least. and then stayed there for 3 weeks while i was still there and got cranky when i would put tip ups anywhere near his shack.

iceman

This is always the dilemma especially in spring when the pan fish go shallow. You know where they go and so do others, yet you always have people that think they own the entire bay you are in. I don't like people right on top of me either but in certain situations you do have to compromise a little. After all they are there to fish just like you.

That makes me remember a few years ago i was fishing crappies in the spring in southern mn. There is this little bridge where there is always good fishing i was standing next to it another older guy pretty close to me. He was using a long cane pole pretty much just sitting on the bridge hanging into the water so his line was like 6 feet out. I figured it would be fine to cast straight out since his line was already in the water, well i cast out it sits for about 2 second and this old guy cast straight over my line and looks at me and was saying how i shouldnt cast into his spot and on and on and i should fish in the lake out there. I was a little mad cause i really dont think i did anything wrong so i casted to the other side of me and pulled in 3 crappies in about 3 minutes. I turned to the old dude and thanked him for telling me where the lake was. He wasnt to happy about that.

I have this happen to me every year with the same guy. Some years he is the first one out on the ice and some years I am the first one out on the ice. Regardless, he thinks he owns the lake. First off, we are the only two that fish the south side of a 1500 acre lake in the winter. I can be 150 yards from him and it's too close. We have had our words back and forth a few times. This year, I asked permission to access the lake closer to "his spot". The landowner was very impressed that I asked and she informed me that the last couple of years someone else is just trespassing and accessing the lake from their land. It was early ice and she said nobody has been on the ice yet. I fished that evening and the next day I came back to fish the evening bite and low and behold a truck pulls up behind me laying on his horn. It is the same guy I always had problems with. I moved out of his way and proceeded to the same spot I was the previous night. He continued to the same spot and when he got there, he was furious that I was fishing in his holes from the night before. The night before I was the only one on the lake and the only one who has been on that side of the lake. I know this is going to continue to happen year after year and I have a pretty good idea this guy is over his possession limit on numerous occassions. I don't want to call him in without knowing for sure because that would only fuel things further and I don't know what to do anymore. Any suggestions?

This spot is only an early ice spot. A couple years ago, I was getting set up in the afternoon when I saw a couple of snowmobiles on the south end of the lake. They were staying close to shore at first then they starting venturing out to the middle of the south end and I couldn't help but to think they were crazy. The river comes in on the north end and flows down the center of the lake and out the southeast side. I saw one snowmobile head west to east across the middle followed by the other one about 3-5 minutes later at full speed. They went past the point so it was hard to see anything. A couple minutes later, the second snowmobile came flying over to me and asking if I could run up and keep an eye on his son who just fell through the ice and he was going to get help. I dropped everything I was doing. I had a couple tip-ups set up. I went over to shore and up to the end of the point to find this 16 year old kid standing on an ice sheet that was at a 45 degree angle down to about 20 feet of water. He was holding on to the snowmobile and standing in about 4 feet of water. I threw him a rope and begged for him to grab on and come out of the lake. He insisted his dad would be upset if he just left the snowmobile to plummet to the bottom!! Long story short, he and the snowmobile got out alright. When I made my way back to fishing, guess who was there getting set up. This was the second time I have seen him and he was ranting and raving in my face. He was threatening to call the DNR for me leaving unattended lines. I tried to explain the story with no avail. This guy is a jerk! (Swanbait, I think you know who I am talking about.) I have told others who have seen him in action that one day, he is going to be that guy you starts yelling because he went through. I will give him a hand yes, but I am going to be quite sure I take my time and reel all my lines in and throughly inspect the area to make sure that I leave nothing behind!

If you know its going to happen every year at early ice, why don't you call the DNR, explain your problems with the guy, and maybe they'll watch from a distance, catch the guy harrasssing you, and give him a lecture. The DNR doesn't want blood all over the ice anymore than you do!!

Please, don't be afraid to call TIP and notify them if you have suspicion that he is keeping more than his limit. They will keep the service call in there logs and check out the lake periodically. Calling TIP doesn't have to be confrontational. The times I've used it the person never knew who called to report over harvesting. Good luck and take the high road. It'll catch up with this guy sooner or later.

In fishing league and jsut recreational i/we have casted around docks and swim rafts and had people harrass us about fishing "too close" to their dock or swim raft stating that they own 150' out into the lake.

Ive had a little punk kid yell and scream and threaten to get his "huge" boat out and run us over. A guy throw his dog dummy repeatedly right next to the boat, and one guy casted the biggest rapala i have ever seen off the end of his dock and caught another guy i was fishing with in the shoulder. A freind of mine got threatened by a guy who said he was gonna go get the shotgun and call the cops.

Now, we dont anchor off the end of someones dock, but trolling and casting a shoreline is perfectly legal. occasionally an errant cast might end up hitting a dock, but if somone is outside we apologize and move on.