Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bak2MN

Depth finder

10 posts in this topic

What depth finder sould I get? I am looking for something that shows temp, accurate speed, fish and is easy to operate. Looking to spend $300 to $500 depending on what it is. Should I go with GPS or not? I do alot of ice fishing so I have considered getting a handheld GPS unit. I am just tired of having junk for electronics. Everyone says that electronics dont lie mine sure the heck does. But than again its just a cheapie that was in the boat when I bought it. Any advice or input would be great.

I have a lowrance 522c and it is awesome. The are around $500 and worth every penny.

There is a thread going saying that people are having trouble with them. And someone said that the 520 would be better, something to with the antenna?

The 520 is the same thing as the 522, except the 520 has an external antenna and the 522 has an internal antenna.

If you want a fishfinder only, not a GPS, we've got great pricing on the Lowrance x510c right now, it's a really great color fishfinder and in the bottom half of your price range. You can see it HERE if you want.

I have never found a finder with accurate speed, if you want accurate speed get a GPS. 500 series Lowrance or Eagles are good units.

Does the HDS 5x have gps and are these any good they are new right? Is speed a real big factor when fishing?

The HDS-5x is the sonar-only model, the HDS-5 is the fishfinder/gps combo that would give you speed. There is a $50 rebate on the HDS 5 right now.

Speed is a huge factor when trolling or live bait rigging. A handheld gps would give you speed readings, although they may not be very good below 1 mph (ie. live bait rigging speeds).

Hey Perch does that x510c come with all the mounting hardware and the transducer? I do think this is the way I leaning on going. Just trying to pull the trigger on doing it. I may need a foot controller for my V2 Minnkota so I am trying to jiggle some loose change. What kind of warrenty come with it? I did see it a lil cheaper on E bay but I dont trust them. Being you are a FMer I trust I am getting what I pay for through you. Thanks for the input.

Hey Perch does that x510c come with all the mounting hardware and the transducer?

Comes with transducer and all mounting hardware and a 1-year warranty.

I have a lowrance 522c and it is awesome. The are around $500 and worth every penny.

I love my 522c. To me, having the GPS in the unit is essential.