• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Brats, how do you like 'em?

I was cooking up some brats for a quick supper tonight and I thought it might be a cool thread subject to see how everyone likes to prepare and eat their brats. There's gotta be a ton of interesting cooking methods and toppings that people have tried. Not to mention unique Brat varieties like Blueberry, etc

Myself, I like to marinade/simmer them in beer and finish them on the grill, top with kraut and spicy brown mustard. I like ketchup but it rarely finds its way on to my brat.

Most unique topping - morels fired in butter and onions - phenomonal!

Anyone else have a favorite brat type, method and/or topping?

I do mine the same way but no kraut. Shrooms and onions OOOOOOH SOOOOO GOOD!!!!!

I had some spicey venison brats made several years back down in SD, they were so hot it took four beers to get them down. THEY WERE GREAT!!!!!!!

Good thread looking forward to more recipes as well.

brats have to be fresh. None of those processed and mass marketed brand name garbage loaded brats. Avoid the big name brand brats. Go to the local butcher and get your self some fresh brats.

Boil them in a decent beer. Then hit the grill.

I like to cook them hot and fast right over the coals. No soaking in beer, no boiling. I like them so the skin is just slightly burnt crispy. Not burnt all the way through but just a dark brown/black.

I usually top with chopped onions, a thin swab of mayo on the bun and some ketchup and mustard. Baked beans and potato chips with a Miller Lite to wash it down. A Twins game on FSN and you are good to go.

I generally like to grill them first, then keep them warm in a beer bath. They should be fresh, natural casing brats. None of those straight artificial ones! Have to be wholewheat buns, preferably with seeds.

Mustard and sauerkraut. Chopped raw onions and maybe a splash of ketchup once in a while.

I grew up in La Crosse, WI what can I say? Way too many Oktoberfest brats over the years.

now having a miller lite with your brat is just plain wrong. a mich golden improves tast drastically. jalapeno n cheddar brats are good, i've had maple ones, and wild rice that were superb!

Must be fresh, grilled to perfection and smothered with kraut!

I was watching Gillespies waters and woods this weekend and they had a "new" segment with their johnsonville brats segment. They took recipies from viewers, sundays recipie was boiling or parboiling them in a 20 oz. bottle of Mt. Dew and a bunch of cut up fresh Jalepeno's. I will have to try that this summer, but not with Johnsonville's.......Got to get your brats from a butcher................

I love to grill them first until brown on skin, then take and put them in a crock pot with some kraut, onions, butter and a can of beer. Cook them on high for an hour and you will have some of the best tasting brats ever.

I was watching Gillespies waters and woods this weekend and they had a "new" segment with their johnsonville brats segment. They took recipies from viewers, sundays recipie was boiling or parboiling them in a 20 oz. bottle of Mt. Dew and a bunch of cut up fresh Jalepeno's. I will have to try that this summer, but not with Johnsonville's.......Got to get your brats from a butcher................

I seen this too, man is that Gillespie annoying he must have said "You earned yourself a johnsonville brat" like 20 times during a 2 minute clip....The recipe sounds interesting but I can't imagine it being that good, I mean boil in Mnt. Dew?

I tried the Johnsville jalepeno and Mt Dew recipe on a couple days ago and it was amazing! It doesn't give off the most pleasant odor when boiling and it is definitely misleading when it comes to the final flavor. I would highly recommend this recipe though. I know that I will make it again.

I boil mine in beer, kraut, onions and garlic...sometimes for an hour, sometimes for 5 hours.....depends on what's going on. Then straight to a hot grill to get some marks on them and make the casing crunchy. Whole wheat bun, spicy mustard, and some of the boiled kraut, onion and garlic on top and your done. Did this with some homemade jalapeno-cheddar venison brats last night.

I boil mine in beer, kraut, onions and garlic...sometimes for an hour, sometimes for 5 hours.....depends on what's going on. Then straight to a hot grill to get some marks on them and make the casing crunchy. Whole wheat bun, spicy mustard, and some of the boiled kraut, onion and garlic on top and your done. Did this with some homemade jalapeno-cheddar venison brats last night.

I just drooled on my keyboard

Grill them real slow till browned then throw them in a pot with 3 beers, two sticks of butter, and two onions on a simmer. Let them sit there for a while then top it off with lots of ketchup.

Machenthuns Meat in St. Boni also makes tons of different flavors that are all good also. Im partial to the wild rice, cajun, and ham and swiss brats there.

I like the smoked cajuns on the grill with a little bit of onions, and some kraut along side of some baked beans. Throw in some potato chips into the mix and it doesnt get better than that sitting on the deck, well, unless you got a 12 pack of busch light sittin in a cooler full of ice right next to ya!

I'm in the hot and fast category when making brats, a little crispy on the outside but still juicy. Boiling in beer just doesn't do it for me. I usually eat mine with just a little mustard, save everything else for the hot dogs.

My favorite varity of brats are either Jalapeno/Cheddar or Green Onion.