• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Test baits for Bear

You cant start baiting until Aug. 15th in Minnesota. And you now have to have a bear license or be under direct supervision of someone with a license i think is how its worded in order to put out baits. I think they did this to prevent people from baiting and then deciding on buying a license depending on if their baits were getting hit or not.

As far as "test baits" go...If I remember correctly, the only stipulation in the rule book is that you may not "hunt" within so many feet/yards...of any bait that was established before the legal begining of baiting...which is August 14th this year...As far as putting out "test baits" in the spring it doesn't necessarily mean that the bears will still be there come August/Sept as thier food preferances may change dramaticly by then...But, that being said, I don't think there is any "law" that says you cannot put out bear baits in the spring or any other time if you just want to watch or photograph bears....the DNR regs pertain to "licensed hunters" and do not regulate someone who just wants to view or take pictures of wildlife...the only exception I could possibly see would be if you were doing it in the "no deer...feeding" zone up here in northern mn...and that would "probably" depend on the "content" of the bait that was placed...

Lichen has it right...you can put a bait out anytime of the year, but you can only establish a bait that you may legally hunt from after August 14th. I don't remember the exact distance you'd have to move a bait established before the legal start of baiting, but I think it was around 150 yards.

It is not considered bait until you hunt over it. Depending upon your local C.O., you could be cited for littering etc. for dumping food in the woods. It is not legal to dump food in the woods until you have a bear license and a properly identified bait station.