Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jonny_redhorse

Nuthatch residence

9 posts in this topic

I got out this warm ,sunny spring morning(knowing it's going to turn gray and colder the next couple days) and on the walk this morning spotted a couple of redbreasted nuthatchs setting up residence in an old standing dried out popple....kind of neat to watch these birds chipping away at there new homestead! grin...He'd "pick" awhile,then get rid of the "pickings"!...neat to watch! grin

P1070909-2.jpg

a beak full of a few minutes work!

P1070901-2copy.jpg

then he'd "throw" the shavings!..you can see then flying !

P1070905-1copy.jpg

DSCN5656-1copy.jpg

and finish the morning with another "grouse on the log " image grin...they were there again but again wouldn't drum in front of me...

grouse95-1.jpg

Jonny - very cool shots. I have similar pictures of a pileated getting a nest ready. Nice shot of the grouse also.

What a busy little guy. I still haven't got a good image of that style of nuthatch. Then again, they are quite rare around here.

Excellent behavioral images of the nuthatch. I really like number two.

oh I love these little guys, although never seen one... lucky you to find this!! and the grouse is great too!!

Sue