Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PostFrontal

Bucks in Velvet

7 posts in this topic

I hunt down in SE MN. I talked to one of the farmer's sons down there today and he said he saw a buck in velvet this past weekend when he was plowing. The earliest I have seen one is when we were turkey hunting down there during the 2nd week of May about 4 years ago.

Anyone else seen one this early before is he telling me a story?

Heck over here in SD we saw one 2 days ago that hadnt dropped last yrs yet.

Some bucks if the hurt their genitals will not shed their velvet and carry it all year this might be the case here because I have never seen a deer in velvet before late june early july.

i dont think its a story, and yes although some deer never shed their velvet, its extremely extremely rare. I have seen bucks in velvet in April, not much to the size of the antler, but a very distinct bump of velvet coming outta their head. Probably an early shedder. more deer than ya think actually shed in december, its been 4 months since they shed, pretty obvious that they would start to re grow the next seasons set of antlers..

I saw one with velvet knobs today even, and then last week, one stil carryin both sides. funny how it works.

some bucks still have their headgear where i hunt, seems too early for antlers to start growing, but maybe not

I've had my trail camera out in the spring and I'd have to go check the dates, but I remember clearly seeing antlers growing in April.

I can see the new bumps forming on some of the bucks on my camera as of last week. In another week or so, they should really be poking out.