• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Can deer read?

Was quite a day. Saw lots of stuff but didn't get as many photos as I should have. Had a wolf cross the road in front of me on my way to work, had the camera on the seat next to me but the wolf got into the brush before I could get a shot. Chased a kestral around for awhile, but didn't get anything worth posting. I did get this and figured I'd lead with it:

4-15-2.jpg

Went down the Fernberg a little further and saw two deer who had fallen through the ice on Garden Lake. They were struggling pretty good.

4-15-3.jpg

They'd gone about 50 yards through ice that wouldn't support them by the time I saw them. They'd struggle for a bit, then lay still for awhile.

4-15-4.jpg

While it seemed they could do better heading for open water, they kept to the ice and kept battling it.

4-15-5.jpg

4-15-6.jpg

Their struggles were taking a toll on 'em.

4-15-7.jpg

After another 75 yards they finally made it to shore.

4-15-8.jpg

Found this butterfly flittin' around. I waited, hoping he'd rest next to some snow, but it wasn't to be.

4-15-9.jpg

And finally, had these goldeneyes do a passover next to the Shagawa River.

4-15-1.jpg

I love the first little guy--perfect opportunity shot. I was so hoping as I scanned down, that you hadn't posted a series with an unfortunate ending, or left before the results were in. I kept wanting to ask you to DO something, please!!! Though I realize your options are limited to none. Way to put some suspense into a series!

Birdsong,

I've seen this scenario played out before and it's my experience that it's best to let the deer handle it themselves. If you try to approach them they tend to struggle harder and wear out faster. You'd think that you could chase them towards shore but there's no guarantee that's the direction they'll head in. Back when I was growing up, had this happen on the lake with a six point buck. Called the DNR and they came to drag a boat across the ice to try a rescue. They fell in, the deer panicked and played itself out. They finally shot it as it lay gasping on the ice. It's a sad reality, but this time had a happy ending.