• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

A Baitcasters Breaking System

ShoreGuy1984

I was thinking of puttng Fireline Crystal on the reel, or FireLine Bread like jwhjr said. Since this is my only baitcaster, I will probaly use it for almost every type of lure. For example, Spinnerbaits, Buzzbaits, Frogs, Texas Rigging, and Etc. What line would be good for this case ?

If you want to go with braid go for it but I would go no less than 30lb because it has 12lb mono dia. I would really suggest putting mono on until you get the hang of using a baitcaster. You are going to get some backlashes at first, hell I had one hell of a birdsnest the other day when my line snapped during a cast and I have been using a baitcaster for about 9 years now. I wasn't able to pick it out so I had to cut all the line off good thing it was only mono. Just get both buy the braid but pick up some mono too its cheap.

This is a great thread for me as I just purchased my first baitcaster.

I have one question. I have a right handed baitcaster. I am having to switch hands as I like to cast with my right. Do I learn to cast lefty? I tired it once yesterday around 6:00 pm and ran out of light before getting the bird nest out. It was brutal. Do I bite the bullet and learn to cast left?

I learned how to cast left handed right from the get-go when I got my first baitcaster. Has REALLY simplified things down the road, especially when I picked up muskie fishing. The only thing I do still switch hands for though is flipping/pitching. I just can't seem to get my left arm to do the right movements to stay accurate. I say do your best to learn left handed. It takes some time, but after a few nights you won't even think twice about it.

Might be true shoreguy, but honestly when you're first using a baitcaster its a whole different feeling anyways, so why not learn the most efficient way right off the bat. It sounds like he may already be somewhat comfortable with casting right handed, in which case just practice left handed as you feel the urge. It can speed up your casting abilities (especially when doing lots of fast cranking) and you'll really appreciate being able to cast left handed when you need to start reeling the MOMENT that lure hits the water (buzzbaits for instance).

Might be true shoreguy, but honestly when you're first using a baitcaster its a whole different feeling anyways, so why not learn the most efficient way right off the bat. It sounds like he may already be somewhat comfortable with casting right handed, in which case just practice left handed as you feel the urge. It can speed up your casting abilities (especially when doing lots of fast cranking) and you'll really appreciate being able to cast left handed when you need to start reeling the MOMENT that lure hits the water (buzzbaits for instance).

Agreed.

Just start casting left handed and get the learning done with. Plus you can keep buzzbaits on the top, as stated !

I'm right-handed. I cast with both hands- left hand on the reel (left thumb on the spool) and right hand on the butt for added power and more control. The reel never leaves my left hand. Before the lure hits the water I'm ready to start crankin'.

I've always preferred reeling with my right- even with a spinning reel. I cast a spinning rod almost entirely left handed. Go figure.

hey would any of you guys know where i could store my boat during the summer. i have looked into storage units and they are like $150 a month. im looking for something indoors and i have posted on here and on craigs list and im not coming up with anything? any tips or help

I am kind of upset. I went out today to practice with my new Curado, and the cover for the braking system does not stay on. it will not snap shut/close. Other then that, the reel seems pretty nice. I think i am gonna exchange it for another one.

The side plate just screws like a 1/4 turn on the new ones... it shouldn't snap shut... I don't see how it would not stay shut since it threads in. I haven't ever had this problem, My new curado is reverse threads for the sideplate compaired to the others though, maybe that's the issue???

IMO the Shimano cover for their brake system is the best I have seen. Easy to open and you don't have to worry about dropping the cover into the drink since is stays attached to the reel assembly.

Newer Pfluegers and Abu Revo's with centrifuge break systems - use a small thumb screw to losen (Never use a screwdriver to tighten), then the cover comes completely off of the reel assembly, need to make sure you don't drop it. The design works but just not as nice as Shimano's IMO.

The problem was the clutch. The clutch was tightened all the way down, which pushed the spool all the way to the breaking systems side. This would not allow the cover for the breaking system to go on all the way and to turn the knob to shut it. I do not know if I explained this right, but my Curado is just fine. Although I am super happy, I feel super dumb lol.

Thanks You Everyone