• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Which Lens?

As some of you may recall, my wife recently gave me a Canon XSI for my birthday. The camera came with the standard kit lens of 18-55mm IS. I have really been enjoying my new toy and I would like to buy a new lens for it. I would like to have more zoom.

I think most of my shots will be of landscapes and mother nature themes. I would also like to use it for shoot animals in nature but I dont feel that I need to be able to zoom up so close as to be able to count hairs..etc. So, I am basically looking for a good all around lens and my budget limit is 500.00. I apologize if I didn't use the right terminology...this camera stuff is still pretty new to me.

Any suggestions or ideas? Thanks

Cliffy

Oh, I forgot to add, I like to do a lot of shots at night in low light. I dont know if this matters or not...

I also have the sigma 70-300mm macro lens as well, its a solidly built lens. It doesn't feel as "cheap" as the non USM entry level canon 75-300mm either, and costs about the same. New it is around $175-250 if you buy online; otherwise if you get lucky you can find it for about $90-100 used at places like National Camera Exchange; though their selection of Canon EF mount used lenses is allways variable and often very minimal.

The macro feature of the Sigma lens is hit or miss. If you are looking for something in the same range that has faster focusing I would look at the canon 75-300 or 100-300mm USM lens.

The IS versions of these lenses are very nice but they will cost you double the cost of what the non IS USM lens goes for. The non IS USM 75-300 goes for around $250-270 new online.

I've been tempted to trade my Sigma in for the USM lens but there are pros and cons to each telephoto lens. It all depends on what you are trying to do, but either lens makes a great choice for an entry level photographer or one who is stuck on a VERY limited budget- like me.

Also your pictures with the lens are impressive, Sanka. I have the same body and the same lens, but I have never been able to pull off macro shots like this. I'm still convinced it was a Canon L series macro lens with "sigma" scribbled on top, LOL

Very nice job.

Also, for a good all around lens that is a great walk-around and not a dedicated long telephoto- try looking into some of the "super zooms" that Sigma and Tamaron make.

Tamaron makes a 18-200 non IS lens which goes as wide as your kit lens but gives you a lot more reach on the telephoto zoom. It is also a lot smaller and lighter then the Sigma or Canon super-telephoto lenses.

On the little bit higher end they make an 18-270 IS zoom lens, though this is new and I don't know much about it, other then it is still in the same compact style.

Tamron makes one more, a 28-300 with Image stabization lens, but that one retails for about $600; so is slightly out of your budget.

The 18-200 non IS lens is currently going for $250-300 online new (at places like B&H). If I had the money I would gladly turn in my 10 year old 28-200 for it.

I have read a few reviews on the Tamaron 18-270 and it got pretty good reviews. I myself am interested in that lense. The reviews states that it has a 28-419mm equivalent with VC. If anyone has tried this lense I sure would like to know what they think.

I own several Tamron lenses and I am very happy with the results. I have an AF 70 - 300mm DI and 18 - 80mm for portraiture photos. The 70 - 300 works great for outdoors landscapes as well as close ups of those shy animals. The macro feature is something that I love working with especially with taking flower shots and those unique items that you want the viewer to keep guessing on... I sometimes use that lense with my Tamron 1.4 teleconverter lenses attached also for those "reach out and touch somebody" shots.

The 18 - 80 mm is a great lense for portraiture and wedding photography. Also if you wish to take wide angle landscape this lense works great too.

These are great lenses at an affordable price...