• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Abu Revo Toro special offer

For those of you who purchase the Abu Toro between 1-1-09 and 9-4-09 Abu Garcia has a special going on - free Wiley-X sunglasses offer on their HSOforum, a $129.00 value...

Worth checking out even if for no other reason then to have a second pair of the ever so important sunglasses in the boat.

I apologize if this is old news, I haven't been on the boards lately.

RU

The polarized lenses are fine and yes they eliminate the glare on water and even make pretty rainbows on car windows, but nothing like getting good lenses in a frame made to sell at gas stations or a kiosk in a mall.

They come in two models...

Standard is 5.4:1 - Same gear ratio as the 4,5,6 000's series C3's

HS (High Speed) 6.4:1 - Same gear ratio as the 4,5,6 000's series C4's

Standard 5.4:1 is a solid all around ratio

HS 6.4:1 is more a special application tougher to reel in lures with lots of drag - like quick line pickup for WTD topwaters and jerk baits, also good for burning bucktails.

I bought the reel at the expo and am looking forward to getting my sunglasses. I tried them out at the expo and they seemed nice enough for me. I'm happy with the sunglasses I currently have but I'll take the free gear since they are offering.

They come in two models...

Standard is 5.4:1 - Same gear ratio as the 4,5,6 000's series C3's

HS (High Speed) 6.4:1 - Same gear ratio as the 4,5,6 000's series C4's

Standard 5.4:1 is a solid all around ratio

HS 6.4:1 is more a special application tougher to reel in lures with lots of drag - like quick line pickup for WTD topwaters and jerk baits, also good for burning bucktails.

Anyone try using the Toro HS version for burning bucktails up to the size of double showgirls (#8 blades)?? I'm interested in the reel for this primary purpose, but am concerned that the reel may be too much work for burning this size bucktail - versus using the regular speed and cranking like crazy to get comparible retrieve rate.

I've experimented with the Revo SX HS reel (small bass reel) to see what it was like and it is a lot more work, but you can really get the showgirls moving with this gear ratio (inches/crank very similar to the Toro HS). But I would think the Toro HS with it's bigger crank, and I would assume better gearing it would be noticably easier relative to the SX-HS reel. Any one know if this assumption is accurate?

I went out on Sunday to test out my new ToroHS. I was throwing double showgirls and eagletails. With the power handle on ,it retrieve pretty easily. So I would agree with your assumption. I think I saw somewhere that the inches per revolutions was 29.6 but I did a generic test with the spool full & I got was about 31 inches. In case anyone was wondering I wasn't fishing in Minnesota.

cbrooks, Thanks for the feedback! I have seen both spec's on inches per revolution on he Toro HS. It is good to see confirmation at 31 inches.

I picked up a couple custom double Showgirls at the Thorne Bros spring sale specifically for burning. They have a 3/4 oz tail weight instead of the standard 3/8 oz. Can't weight (couldn't help the pun) to give it a try with the Toro HS.

For those not famimliar with specs of other reels - the Curado 300DSV does 28", Calcutta 400s/6500c3 25". Burning small/med sized bucktails at 31"/revolution on the Toro HS should be a blast.

Remember thats with a full spool. On there specs it says 29.6 inches. So to be fair its roughly inch and a half to two inches faster than the Curado. I think I'm gonna pick up second one that reel is awesome. one for bucktails the other for jerkbaits.