• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Abu 7000

Do yourself a favor and don't listen to extreme opinions - everyone's got one. While not as good as some of the more expensive reels out there, for retreiving double 10's they're great. Learn the reel inside and out (it's not difficult - they're pretty simple) and carry a few spare parts as Rob says. It will treat you well. Or spend another $150-250 and get a great reel, that you still may have problems with, but are less likely to.

Do yourself a favor and don't listen to extreme opinions - everyone's got one. While not as good as some of the more expensive reels out there, for retreiving double 10's they're great. Learn the reel inside and out (it's not difficult - they're pretty simple) and carry a few spare parts as Rob says. It will treat you well. Or spend another $150-250 and get a great reel, that you still may have problems with, but are less likely to.

Excellent advice Propster!

As I stated earlier, the guy that got me going on the 7000's has a boat full of them like Rob K and he beats the snot out of them. They work for me, but some have trouble with them. Any reel that has moving parts and gets used, will eventually break down. Amount of use and care of equipment probably is a big part in how long reels will last you.

"Any reel that has moving parts and gets used, will eventually break down."

I agree with you there. While most everyone agrees a Calcutta is a top notch reel, a couple guys have had trouble and don't care for them. Does that mean they're not a good reel? Definitely not. They may use something else and really like it because it suits their style of fishing, or they've just gotten a good one or two and never had problems like others have.

If you have not made your purchase yet, I'd look at the Shimano Tekota 600. Just do a web search and you'll see prices, specs, pictures, etc.

DB

Thanks for the info, that's the first I'd seen of that reel. Seems like a decent reel from the reviews, but no magnetic cast control that I could get with the Okuma Clarion. I still haven't made a decision yet, but I've been reading a lot of good things about the Okuma. Got a month to figure it out luckily!