• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Campfire Grilled Fish?

charliepete

If you don't mind hauling garbage, then I would suggest aluminum foil pouches. Basically take however many fillets one person will be eating and put it on the bottom of a piece of foil, then put sliced potatoes and onions on top. Add salt & pepper and a couple of lemon slices and fold up tight so the steam doesn't escape easily. Throw it over some coals and you're good to go.

If you want as little garbage as possible just leave the skin on the fillets and throw lemon pepper or cajun seasoning on the flesh side and throw it on the grill. Campfire grilled fish is about as good as it gets grin

Grilling fish tends to dry it out. That is why it is recommended to grill fish on a plank that has been soaked in water.

If you are going to use the foil method, you may want to boil the potatoes until they just begin to soften then slice and place in the foil. I like to put the potatoes on bottom because they will brown and moisture will help steam the fish. The sky is the limit on what you can pour on top to make a sauce.

Check out the cooking fourm as there are a million ways to cook fish in there.

There is a lot of info on the

I lay foil down, lightly cover with olive oil and the place the fillets on the foil (if you have skin-on fillets, place skin side down). It works equally good with skin-on or skinless fillets. Season the top of the fillet with your choice of seasonings (I prefer lemon pepper and garlic salt). Cook until fish flakes.

If you are grilling lake trout or salmon with the skin on, flip them over when they almost done and remove and discard skin. Then scrape the grey/brown stuff that is located along the lateral line as this is what causes 99% of the "fishy" taste. Turn the fish back over on the foil and lightly brown the bottom side on the foil/olive oil.

Steve

I like the foil method, easy to keep a folded piece in the cook gear. Works great for lakers, walleye. Lay the filets on the foil, add butter or marg, salt and garlic pepper. Seal well, best if two layers of foil (fold long piece in half.) Cook over the embers on the Bdub fire grate about 20 minutes and flip for another 10 depending on how much is in the package. Very hard to screw this up. I also like to add an onion sometimes some peeled carrots.

Or

For walleye, leave skin on filets. Score across many times with a knife on flesh side. Cover with butter/marg onion, salt and garlic. Grill skin down over coals until flakes. Helps to loosely cover with foil piece. This one scores very well with the ladies!

Can't imagine packing in a fry pan and oil...

I know some people that like to pack in a bunch of oil and a pan for the BWCAW. I just wouldn't want the hassle. That, and if that oil leaked out into your pack or something like that, you become a bear magnet. I prefer my camping to be bear free!

I 100% suggest the foil method.

Use some oil(quality olive oil is always the best), and don't forget seasonings, whatever you prefer.

-------------------

AN ADDITION TO THE FOIL METHOD:

My dad likes to use soy sauce and nothing else. No oil , no other seasonings. Just soak a fillet in soy sauce and wrap it up and cook.

--------------------

KEEPING IT BASIC:

Of course there's nothing wrong with gutting a fish, skewering it on a stick(after stripping the bark off), and just cooking it straight over the fire like a hot dog. It's still popular in asian cultures to cook at eat fish right away like this.

--------------------

OLD-SCHOOL TROPICAL ISLAND BAKING:

This is a little bit time intensive but fun to try! Works great on a sandy beach by a river during canoe trips.

If you're fishing anywhere near a river with large(like multiple 10+ lb) rocks, gather up as many as you can, and build a fire under them. A BIG fire. The goal is to heat up the rocks as much as you can.

In the meantime, dig a decent-sized hole in the ground. Big enough to fit the rocks, wrapped-up fillets on top, and covered with a layer of sand.

Prepare your fish using any kind of foil-related method as mentioned above with oil and seasonings. The TRADITIONAL way is to wrap your fish in very large tropical leaves of trees, but seeing as we're in MN and not the Caribbean, that's a little less practical. Make sure the fillets are wrapped very well or else you'll get sand in your food.

Once the fire dies down, push the rocks, which are now VERY HOT, into the hole. Place your fillets on top. Cover with a layer of sand. There you are, your very own hand-made ground oven baking some delicious fish fillets.

foil method is good as mentioned

a much easier (produces less trash too) is to just put a bit of butter in the pan and saute the fish (directly on the wood fire flames) with a little seasoning of your choice. The campfire smoke gives it a little extra flavor, gotta love it

When I was a kid, we went on a little camping trip and decided to cook some fish like we used to see the outdoor guys and the indians do it on T.V. Get a fish, clean it, put a green stick through it and cook it over an open fire. Looked pretty good on T.V.

Well, we probably washed it in alge water, we must have used a green piece of pi$$ Elm to skewer it and made the fire out of Wolfsbane and poison Sumac and poison oak, cause that fish was the nastiest thing I had eaten up to that time!

You see survivorman eating lizards and scorpions and snakes and stuff cooked that way, they must be plenty nasty....I guess if you are in a survival mode, the stuff tastes like a good T-bone?

But, some of my more memorable experiences as a kid fishing the Mississippi river in north Mpls., with a friend and his dad, was fish cooked in tinfoil over an open fire like others have explained in previous posts. Small Smallmouth Bass and walleyes, man were they good!

I haven't tried it yet, but a friend marinates his trout and salmon in 50% soy sauce/50% orange juice concentrate and then grills them. He swears this is the best way to grill them, so I'll be trying that this summer.

Steve

I haven't tried it yet, but a friend marinates his trout and salmon in 50% soy sauce/50% orange juice concentrate and then grills them. He swears this is the best way to grill them, so I'll be trying that this summer.

Steve

That would be fantastic, I'm 100% sure of it laugh