Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
walleye 4 me

Boating and Drinking???

86 posts in this topic

Co-worker and I were talking and he says it is legal for the driver of a boat to drink as long as he doesn't go over .08. Is this true? Is North Dakota the same way?

I'm not sure if open containers are allowed on the water, but yes you can still boat as long as you aren't over .08

open container is legal in a boat just not over .08

Yes you can drink in ND and MN but as stated the driver better not be intoxicated or you'll have trouble, but don't try it in Canada they don't have a sense of humor when it comes to booze in the boat. Most public boat landings and the state parks have rules against alcohol so leave it in your boat when launching and loading you boat.

Illegal for anyone in my boat. I'm not against drinking I don't belive it has any place in a boat.

Illegal for anyone in my boat. I'm not against drinking I don't belive it has any place in a boat.

As long as you aren't smashed and you are under the legal limit, no harm done in my book.

I've also heard that as long as your anchored and not operating a motor, you can be above the .08 legal limit? I typically don't drink while fishing since fishing and driving the boat is enough for me to handle....but I do enjoy a cold one on the water every now and then.

There are really two things going on - you can't be over .08 and you can't have your ability to operate the boat impaired. That could be a lower limit for some. Rare, but possible.

I've also heard that as long as your anchored and not operating a motor, you can be above the .08 legal limit? I typically don't drink while fishing since fishing and driving the boat is enough for me to handle....but I do enjoy a cold one on the water every now and then.

Well you can get a DUI for sleeping in your car with the keys on you so who knows for the boat. The rule is to operate any motorized vehicle while over the limit (so even a riding lawnmower can fetch you a DUI). However I believe as long as rowing is an option, you could be as drunk as you'd like and not be in any legal trouble. As far as other troubles, you're on your own.

I am pretty sure that while the boat is moving, the driver can not have a alcoholic beverage in his hand, or in the drivers can/cup holder.

What about a canoe,duck boat,jon boat, being pushed with a trolling motor?? Or just paddeling??

there is nothing in the state statutes (that I can find) that says the driver cant have a drink in his or her hand. they just need to be Under the .08 level. and yes, if you are paddling a canoe, you are fine.

There are an awful lot of people that drive pontoons while "taking a tour" around the lake that have a drink in their hands and /or impaired. The law inforcement don't bother them to often. I once spoke with a sheriff at the access and asked him what is tolerated while boating? He said I don't care what you do, as long as you are not making a seen and keeping to yourself, I won't bother you. But then again, that is just how he felt that day!

You can as long as under .08. I believe you can have one in hand while driving. At least I see it all the time and haven't seen them go after those folks.

I'm with Esox though, leave the beer at home. I won't kick you out of my boat, but if you are busy drinking and not fishing and make an arse out of yourself, you won't be going back out with me.

We don't allow it due to the baits we throw, I don't need a drunk guy sticking a 7/0 treble in the back of my head. Not sure what reason I can come up with for ice fishing ......

A few, fine. I have had some bad experiences with people who are more interested in drinking than fishing. Totally ruins the pleasure of fishing.

I take it personal when someone due to drinking is acting like a arse, when you have money tied up in something you enjoy and some drunk is screwing things up and not going with the flow, it just sucks. Why spend money on a fishing trip if your not fishing? It would be a lot cheaper to hit the local bar or stay home

Yes you can drink and drive a boat (MN).

No you cant be over .08 If you are its a DUI just as it would be in your car.

If you are ancored, you still have to have at least one person in the boat that is not over .08, if there isnt the driver can still get a DUI even if you are not moving.

Drinking and boating is just as stupid as dinking and diving your car and the CO/Sherrif will stick you in jail if you do either.

Duck

We don't allow it due to the baits we throw, I don't need a drunk guy sticking a 7/0 treble in the back of my head. Not sure what reason I can come up with for ice fishing ......

I'll give you a reason: hypothermia.

Booze has no place in the cold.

Open water or on the ice it all comes down to moderation in my book. Just like just about any other life situation.

IMO, drinking is what gives fisherman a bad stereotypical image to some folks. Not just fisherman, but the fools you see blasting around on the party lakes all summer.

Leave it at home, or in the cabin for later. To many things can go very bad quickly.

Doesn't answer the question, just my take.

Open water or on the ice it all comes down to moderation in my book. Just like just about any other life situation.
I'll second that. Obnoxious drunks is what give fishermen that enjoy an ocasional cold beer a bad name. I have neighbors a few down at the lake that feel the need to whoop, hollar, and howl at the moon when drinking I don't understand that but I enjoy a cold beer or a drink at the lake. As for the neighbors I'm not talking about people laughing and having a good time, its more like a half a dozed 50 year olds having a contest who can yell Yahoo the loudest for about 2-4 hours a half a dozen times a summer. Be safe, enjoy life and don't disturb those around you to much.

OK I'll just trow it in there what about a paddle boat? smile After all there is no motor.

Just so you know I am just curious, those days are well behind me. Most tend to be responsible once they become a parent and I must say it is all for the better. I know I became responsible real quick the second my son was born.

Motorized vehicle is what it comes down to. Anything that is mechanically propelled, i believe a trolling motor would count as well.

I would think you could possibly get one, they give tickets for BUI. Biking under the influence.