• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

carving decoys and lures

hello. i just got a bunch of basswood. and i am going to start carving spearing decoys and lures. i dont have any fancy equiptment. i will be using a pocket knife to carve them. i will have someone i know cut out the rough shape when im make a spearing decoy.

i am gonna paint with spray paint probably.

any tips for me on painting/ carving?

Get a dremel and you can add many different attachment for grinding and sanding. They have rotary rasps that should work pretty good for removing material and sanding drums to finish.

is there another way to do it without that? i really dont have the money for it lol

There are some good articles on the internet on how to carve and weight spearing decoys. It takes practice, but it's not that hard to make a working decoy.

You can also check out the Minnesota Dark House Spearing association HSOforum and the "Gathering" at Perham, Mn. where they show and score decoys sometime in April.

A good exterior latex primer and craft paints in small bottles work ok. Clear coat them with epoxy. Sheet aluminum works for fins and tail. You can either paint eyes or purchased molded ones to glue on before you clear coat. Lead for weight.

Although I don't spear, people have told me that a good working decoy will hang head slightly up in water and swim when lifted and let to free.

There are alot of good carvers with beautifull working and life like decoys, but they all started at the beginning.

Have fun.

There are some good articles on the internet on how to carve and weight spearing decoys. It takes practice, but it's not that hard to make a working decoy.

You can also check out the Minnesota Dark House Spearing association HSOforum and the "Gathering" at Perham, Mn. where they show and score decoys sometime in April.

A good exterior latex primer and craft paints in small bottles work ok. Clear coat them with epoxy. Sheet aluminum works for fins and tail. You can either paint eyes or purchased molded ones to glue on before you clear coat. Lead for weight.

Although I don't spear, people have told me that a good working decoy will hang head slightly up in water and swim when lifted and let to free.

There are alot of good carvers with beautifull working and life like decoys, but they all started at the beginning.

Have fun.

thanks dude! that helped quite a bit.

i am currently sanding a popper. its looking really good for my first carved lure. ill post pics later