• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What Would You Buy And Why? Hypothetical Question!

Shack

Without a doubt, if I had the coin, that would be my next boat. That is some great footage.

I was looking around and found a used 19' CW Viper for $31k with only 20 hours on it.

I've got the pontoon and a 17' Alumacraft Deep V with a 70 Yamaha. The Alumacraft I bought back in 1990 and I used it for 17 years fishing the Mississippi and the St Croix . When we bought the pontoon I decided to keep the Alumacraft because it was paid for and I would have it for any kind of fishing trips I might want to make. Last year the Alumacraft got used once. I'll use it at the end of this month for a blue cat trip to Missouri with Darren.

The pontoon has worked out far better than I expected. I'm lucky because I'm able to slip it in a Marina on the St Croix so it is ready to go 24/7 all summer. I use it for a lot more than just catfishing and it is a great family getaway. My grandkids love it and since I am retired I have the time available and the freedom for imprompto trips during the day swimming and fishing as a family. We can decide to go on a moments notice and it is no trouble to just drive down to the boat and just go.

On the section of the St Croix that I primarily fish, the pontoon is a great fishing platform for catfish and sturgeon. With the Day Enclosure up I'm able to fish in just about any weather from late April until the middle of October. The most people I've seriously fished for cats or sturgeon has been four. With two rods each allowed on the St Croix eight rods hanging off the boat is about the max you want out there.

Like any boat you end up owning there is always something else you want to do with it. I'm always working on improving both my boats. They are always a work in progress.

Shack - Looking at all the things you have listed as requirements for your perfect boat I'm not sure you are going to find that boat. I'm an old fart now and none of those requirements you have listed interest me at all. I fish the upper Mississippi - I grew up on that water living in Dayton. The best way to fish the Miss is to drift it. Dump the boat in at Monticello and drift to Dayton. Great way to fish it.

My Alumacraft is plenty boat for the Mississippi pools. I know Pool 2 and Pool 3 and that 17' Alumacraft works perfect. And now that I'm an old retired fart - a nice, comfy, slow going pontoon fits me perfect. I can park that baby on some pretty sweet big cat holes.

I love researching and following leads I find or hear about on things that I am interested in. Just for fun, I have been looking all over the net and even calling boat manufactures the last week or so to see if there was a boat that met the needs I would be looking for right now, if I was to purchase a boat today. I was drawing blanks, so I figured I would ask the only group I know of, who might know of some possibilities.

It sounds like it is a pipe dream grin.

I wished I lived in Stillwater wink Seeing and experiencing your set-up Steve, there would be only one way to go then.

Riverpros are not king!

Yes, They are. grin

My gunwales are a little thicker (tree resistant)

"The guys out west laugh at them things."

And what do they say about jet dinghies? grin

I have to agree with the front steer if you want a strictly cat boat. smile

Originally Posted By: ec30_06
Riverpros are not king!

Yes, They are. grin

My gunwales are a little thicker (tree resistant)

"The guys out west laugh at them things."

And what do they say about jet dinghies? grin

I have to agree with the front steer if you want a strictly cat boat. smile

The rocks and rapids out west would eat any boat that runs the MN river.

Originally Posted By: Kyle B
Oh and would have to have a Full Polyaspartic Polyurea Paint and Flooring!

OMG, It's like we are twins! I would have to have that flooring. If only I knew someone that sold and installed it....

I knew you would be on the same page as me. Only the best stuff could be used in a dream boat!

I think i would need a few more dollars than you are talking about but i would have to get a bevertail jet boat it was mentioned earlier it is what wiskers fished out of last year it was 22 feet long and i believe it had a 250hp optimax jet motor it did about 50 miles per hout did excelent in shallow water and it is wide enough to handle bigger water too very nice boat you can look up videos that wiskers has on u tube or look up bevertail jet to see pictures and videos

i hear you there elwood it is even worse when you get to fish out of it i wish i had the money to buy one but i would probably die from a heart atack on the way home with it just from being so excited

Over at Cabelas in Owatonna They have the new Beavertail Jet boat. First impression I was not impressed. The boat my be a 21ft boat but 3/4 of the boat is all decking very small amount of floor space, with the back 6ft of the boat virtually useless. Also I didn't like the fact that the boat tapers to the size of a 1448 in the front. Cool Concept and good looking boat but to me doesn't seem to be a very catfishing friendly boat. Have not been on the water in one so maybe theres much more that I am missing?

Yep, this did turn out to be a "Hypothetical Question". I was out ruled last weekend and my money went to a new (very close to new) Expedition. No jet boat this year. frown ,unless I sell some toys. Which might happen anyways, at least to the toys that do not have anything to do with fishing grin.

The only positive is we have two trucks now grin My wife will not drive anything other than an SUV (long story) and only having one truck, this got in the way of my fishing at times wink. All I will say is she will be driving the older Expedition winkwhistle

Thanks for all the feed back guys. When it happens, I have some very good idea’s on what it is going to be.

Well when it comes to deciding about a river boat there are only two choices one has that make sence to me.

A River Pro if you are just going to fish rivers or small lakes. Very functional and bullet proof!

A beavertail Jet if you want to fish rivers and small lakes and larger lakes. Very functional and Bullet proof along with more storage and much more room plus built in MN.

I have run the h3LL out of both of them and love them both.

Beavertail has 2-3 Demos left in the factory that they are trying to sell at great prices.

Good luck with your adventure and give me a call if you would like any more info on either of the boats.. Either way you cant go wrong. Both are EXTREME Boats and will never let you down.