• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What Would You Buy And Why? Hypothetical Question!

Shack

I want to see what some of you guys would do or have done! wink

OK, this is the scenario. Let’s say you had $16,000.00-$20,000.00 and are looking for a new/newer used boat for the river and primarily catfishing. This boat would be used in the Mississippi north in low water conditions, in area’s of the Minnesota where you all know and love and maybe some of the Red River at times. This is the “big” question though; it would also have to be able to handle big water lakes many times threw out the open water season in relative comfort and control in moderate wave action.

This boat would also need to be able to haul and fish up to 4-5 people comfortably and must have the horses/power to do so. I am sure the only option in this situation is water-jet propulsion. Good factory storage and basically ready to go, minus doing some small mundane things. I know a newer used boat would most likely offer more “bang for your buck” than a new boat would (most times). Forward/center controls would be a must also.

I have heard stories of some boats having to low horse power, porpoising issues and other things to look out for. If someone was to be in the market (possibly) for a new river boat, what things would be recommended to watch out for?

I know River Pro is king and I am sure would “fit-the-bill” and should not be ruled out, but I know there is other options are out their and would like to hear what they are. If you own one or are just dream’in, let us know! Is their a boat like this out on the market?

Thanks smile

Yes, that could be an option, but less stuff in the yard would make most of our significant others happier grin

I was thinking maybe something more on the lines of Boulton or Custom Weld if you could find a used "good" deal.

I know they have all kinds of models available, but could theses boats handle the low waters of the Miss. North or MN?

Yep. IMO You can get a pretty sweet used set up for either situation for under 10k. I think it would be tough to have set up that can handle both scenarios. For big water I think deep-v and for skinny I think flat bottom or a channel through design. Just my 2 cents.

No matter what, if I had the money, for any type of river boat, and I had my choice, it would be a forward console design, much like PapaGrump, WWG, and RAB's boats.

How about a pontoon whistle

Funny as it sounds back in the day there is/was a really great walleye fisherman out in the Dakotas that used a toon in/on the walleye circuit; and I'm sure the waves he saw in that boat were tremendous. I cant think of his name right now, but I'm sure one of you guys knows who I'm talking about.

We use a pontoon on river just like SteveD does and ye it doesnt match the performance of what some fellows use (RP's, ect). Theres something to said though sittn in a zero gravity chair looking at the stars waiting for a bite.

I think owning a pontoon would be an excellent option. I've only fished out of them on larger lakes so I don't know how they handle skinny water but they can take some heavy chop and handle it quite well. Putting all the extra goodies into a pontoon would just be sweet as well.

Originally Posted By: dtro

Funny as it sounds back in the day there is/was a really great walleye fisherman out in the Dakotas that used a toon in/on the walleye circuit; and I'm sure the waves he saw in that boat were tremendous. I cant think of his name right now, but I'm sure one of you guys knows who I'm talking about.

We use a pontoon on river just like SteveD does and ye it doesnt match the performance of what some fellows use (RP's, ect). Theres something to said though sittn in a zero gravity chair looking at the stars waiting for a bite.

If you are ever looking for a fishing partner, let me know. We can my boat or yours!

shack last year at the franklin cat tourney whiskers had the boat if memory serves me correctly it was 21ft and had a 250 optimax jet drive and he said it went about 55mph. it waqs one of the sweetest flatbottom rigs I have ever seen not sure on the price but was to me the perfect rig for any river.

I would go with a 1870 Alweld jet tunnel and a Merc Opti Max 200/140 Tiller. Short Front and Rear Deck With Open Floor. Oh and would have to have a Full Polyaspartic Polyurea Paint and Flooring!

If you fish both inland waters and the river, I would look at 2 used boats. With the economy the way it is at this time, I would guess there are a few deals out there for nice used rigs.

One for the river and one for the lakes.

Don't forget about Kyle's special flooring.

I like the looks of some of those Alweld's and SeaArks! Very cool.

Pontoons are awesome, but I do not know if I could even launch one at the 101 launch in Elk River, much less navigate one of size in the narrow channels in that stretch. You do not see many pontoons up this way wink Also that would be a long haul each weekend I get out to go from Princeton to Chaska with a toon in tow. Plus if I was going in head deep into a pontoon, I would have to do what Steve D did and that would be at least double the price of what was said in my first post and then I would have to get a slip or lake shore property at least 1.5 hours away grin Thus mobility is limited.

At that point, something like this would have to be dealt into the game wink :

Two boats to me would be twice the hassle and money, from up-keep, maintenance, storage an out-rigging. Plus for some reason wives like mine would look at a $20,000 boat as one toy and two $10,000 boats as two toys wink Twice the confrontation as each boat is brought home grin Worked out over a period of time, maybe.

If it came down to a River Pro, I would just do what Papa says wink.

Check out phantom boats, alweld, xpress, and the new 1966 lowe. A hull design that is good for shallow rivers will never be good on big water. Two boats is your best bet. You can pick up a small river boat dirt cheap if you look around. Riverpros are not king! The guys out west laugh at them things. Check out some of the river boats for sale out west. One of them may be your best shallow water/bigwater combo.

If you are ever looking for a fishing partner, let me know. We can my boat or yours!

Sounds great Scott. Was that you out of Henderson landing Tues eve? Saw a trailer there and thought I remember you saying on here you were going out in boat.

Dark I got something for you...I'll post it on the rock site because I am not a rock collector of any sorts put I was out creek chubb'n today and about stepped on one of my 1st agates. Thanks to your videos I didnt step over it; and it now has a home in the bottom of my bait tank....along with some fresh chubs smile.