• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

First St Croix Channel Cat of the Season

SteveD

Beautiful evening for some St Croix catfishing. Weather was clear, cool, with calm winds. Water was flat as glass. Water temp was 49.5 degrees and water level is on a slow drop currently at 680.6 feet (675.5 feet is normal pool elevation). Islands are still underwater but main channel current is not too strong. I fished one of my favorite high water backwater spots. The backwaters have a nice current flow and I am starting to see some fish activity. A few carp splashing and some other fish activity in the shallows.

Only fished for 2 hours 1815 - 2015. Picked up a plump 22" channel cat at 1905 on a chunk of frozen sucker. I've got to get some fresh bait - looks like I'll have to spend some time chasing bullheads this week.

I was the only boat on the water when I came in. Sure felt good to be back on the river at night again. Now that I know they are in the backwaters I'm going to hit it hard. This is an earliest I've found backwater channels on the St Croix.

Good Twins game tonight. Twins vs Toronto - Twins win in the 11th.

Lucky Duck! grin

I was going to head down for some channel action this evening, but the wife ended up having to work tonight.

Maybe in the next day or so!

Thanks for the report Steve! smile