• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What do you tow your boat with?

Jim Uran

The reason I ask is I'm looking at buyin a decent used boat, nothing fancy but something bigger than I have now, which is just a normal ol 16ft starcraft. I need something with a wider beam and a little deeper. Mostly for taking the fam out, and for myself of course hitting some bigger water. I was thinking on getting an 1850 Tyee but that just seems to big for my trailblazer and it's weeeee little V-6.

What do you guys think is that too much boat for my rig? Or should I consider getting at 16 or 17 footer. I'm was really looking for something with a walk thru windshield also. Trouble is my budget is putting it at like 6 grand or so!!

Look at the weight of the rig, and if it makes it under the vehicles tow rating, it is fine. Just drive slower. Some will tell you need a diesel smile but you don't. A full size would be nice (I tow with one) but also have a Trailblazer that can pull a 18' alum boat with 150 just fine.

Good luck.

One question i would ask is how far do you plan on towing the rig? Short distances shouldn't be a problem. For longer , then i agree with checking what the vehicle can handle! Then make certain it can handle towing.(i.e. external tranny cooler, and heavy enough hitch)

One question i would ask is how far do you plan on towing the rig? Short distances shouldn't be a problem. For longer , then i agree with checking what the vehicle can handle! Then make certain it can handle towing.(i.e. external tranny cooler, and heavy enough hitch) [/quote

just what he said i tow a 1775 prov with a v6 dakota its fine but it eats the gas look to buy a half ton or 3/4 ton today.

Thanks fellas, I'll look into what my vehicle is rated for, there is no point in buying a boat my vehicle can't handle. I would probably be doing some lomg towing, (150 miles or so) with it so I better check that out. Great answers guys.

Doesn't the Trailblazer have the 4.2 inline six? I seem to remember it being rated for 275 ft lb and 275 hp? If so, I would think it would tow a 18 foot aluminum boat fine. Just make sure it has a tranny cooler, if it doesn't already.

I have a Dakota with a 4.7 V8. It has towed our 28' camper a few times to and from the lake that weighs ~ 4500 lbs. Pushing it I know, but I think your Trailblazer and 2200 lbs of boat, motor, gear, and gas should be no problem.

As had been said above..It's not enough power to pull that is always the problem. A more likely problem is not being able to stop it effectively....I have seen more problems caused by small tow vehicles that couldn't stop the giant boats behind them...I have towed with everything from a diesel to my current ride a 3/4 ton burban with the 8.1 litre motor..It will pull and stop anything effectively..It does LOVE the gas though..I have three kids and regularly travel long distances and this has been the perfect ride for us...

I towed my 16' Sylvan Backtroller with a 97 Jimmy up until this year. It was fine, but could have really used the extra towing capacity a few times getting out of the river. Picked up an 04 Yukon this winter.....problem solved.

I see the 1850 Tyee weighs in around 1800 lbs. Figure 400-500 lbs for motor, and another 400 or so for max gear & gas. Puts you at 2700 lbs max which is around 50% of your tow rating.

Tranny cooler would be beneficial and trailer brakes as suggested would be an almost must have. Aren't they standard for a boat this big anyway?

Enjoy your decent highway mileage with a Trailblazer and get a new boat.

I tow my 17 ft Alumacraft Trophy with a 75 hp Merc, fully loaded with gear, with my Trailblazer (with 4.2 inline 6) and it have no problems. Just drive slower when towing long distances. I would suggest a bigger towing vehicle if you go bigger than a 17 ft boat.

I agree with solbes you can handle that boat, just watch the speed. It will pull it down the highway at 60 mph with out working to hard, but if your in a hurry and start pushing it into a head wind you may have trouble.

I was just about to say... I tow my boat with my car. The boat isn't a bare-bones rowboat either- 1428 Classic SS (heavier than the new 1475 Rebel SS). Of course, the car has plenty of power in HP and braking... more than many of the trucks mentioned so far.

316061022.jpg

Dodge Charger with 5.7 L Hemi. I just make sure I drive in direct(4th gear), as opposed to overdrive.

You should be just fine with that power. I pull my 17' fiberglass walleye boat (probably 2500+# with everything) with a '01 Chevy Blazer. 4.3L Vortec V6 185hp. Not even close to the ideal towing vehicle for this, but it does it and not too bad. Sucks the gas for sure though. That being said 90% of my trailering is within an hour of my home. If you make frequent long runs then you may find out what is best for you, but I would atleast give the Trailblazer a shot. It won't be as bad as you anticipate. I have seen a Trailblazer pulling a Ranger 620VS. And like mentioned above most vehicles will pull loads heavier than you might think, but the response and handling is what the attention needs to be on. I say get the boat.

As many have stated above I think the stopping ability will be more of a concern than pulling. I light vehicle will be manhandled by a heavy boat. Think 70 mph and hitting the brakes because someone pulls into your lane. Allot of trailers have surge brakes which I would highly recommend.

I pull a 20" glass boat (about 4500# loaded with gas etc.) with a 3/4 ton Suburban and still have surge brakes on the trailer.

Anyone know how much tranny cooler kits usually run??

I found some online for around $50.

I tow a 96 Alumacraft 190 Competitor with an 2009 Dodge 1500 with a Hemi. OK I havent towed my boat yet with it since the boat is still in storage and I`ve only had the pickup 3 weeks. But when I do go get it thats what I will use.

I tow my 18.5' fiberglass with a Nissan Xterra (3.3 V6) and it has worked just fine. I've got a Class III hitch and rarely go over 2 hours (1-way) to a lake, with the norm being under an hour. It took some getting used to, but once I "learned" how to trailer it, and how it acts behind my vehicle, it's been fine.

I don't have trailer brakes, but the roads I take limit me to about 60 mph, and have very little traffic. I turn the overdrive off and have never had a problem, either on the road or getting in or out of the water.

It does suck the gas (about 9-10 mpg), but it's what I've got for now. Maybe someday I'll upgrade, but until then it works great.