• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

steering problem

96 f-250 when making a turn and going back to straight the wheel doesn't come all the back to center, jerk it a little to get it back it comes back or goes just a little to far so it is pulling right, get it straightened out goes along o.k. then all of a sudden it will jerk to the right. any ideas?

Ya, anything 4WE said. I have seen it on some Fords where the ball joints seize/rust up and make it very hard to turn (jerky). Then again, I have seen axle u-joints worn and bind to the point where the steering is effected. Then again, grin I have seen worn steering gears do this also!

One of the esiest things you can try is jack up the wheel, remove the outer tie rod from the knuckle, and then swing the knuckle back and forth to check for resistance. Make sure you place the jack under the control arm so the suspension is in as normal a position as possible while its jacked up. repeat for other side. If you feel resistance than you can focus on ball joints and u-joints.

Before for you go and take the wheels off,

1- lock the hubs if they are manual

2- turn the steering wheel to the left

3- try spinning the wheel and see if it binds

4-repeat these steps on the right side.

If it binds while trying to spin the wheel you have an axle ujoint binding up.

If you have auto hubs you will need to turn the front drivshaft

by hand to get the hubs to lock.

Or you might be able to jack up the front end, look at both side u-joints and see if you can see any rust powder coming out on either of the four boots on both u-joints. Maybe even peel back the boot a little to grab a peek inside (looking for rust) or grab the axle/joint and feel for play?

thanks for the replies guys, I stopped at the ford dealer today and was told it is ball joints, about 800 bucks to have them fix it, am now contemplating taking it apart myself and having the dealer press old ones out and new ones in.