• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

battery post replacement

bucketmouth64

Question

Can a top mounted marine battery post be replaced? I bought a new battery and was tightening down the bolt and I accidently touched the other battery with the wrench. Big spark and part of my wrench is ruined and the nut on the post is melted on. This happened on the new battery mad. If post can be replaced does anyone have a place that can do this? I suppose I should also see if I damaged one of the cells first. I'll buy wing nuts next time if I have to buy another new battery. I can't believe this happened and I'm a bit ticked.

11 answers to this question

bucketmouth64, I doubt that the post can be replaced as they are intregal to the plates in the cell they're located above. No chance of gripping the post with a vice-grip and working that nut loose? The exposed part of the post looks to be about 3/4" diameter with a 5/16" stud out of the top? Where it goes through the case, it's only about 3/8" diameter, so be cautious 'cause they're very easily twisted off. At that point, you're generally screwed. Phred52

Never heard of replacing the post.

About all I can think of is trying to file/cut/grind off the welded nut, then carefully attempting to rethread the post.

Note of Caution: Grinding may produce sparks. Batteries produce hydrogen gas. Sparks + hydrogen gas = potential for trouble

You could try and remove the nut with a nut splitter.

150244_lg.gif

You don't want to reef on the the battery post or else you'll knock it loose.

After you get the nut off use the correct size die and clean the threads up. The cutting edge of the die can only cut so far down till you bottom out on the post. Take the die back off and flip it around to finish threading the stud.

If the stud is too far burned to use then Dave's suggestion of battery clamps should work.

Maybe you could possibly fit another battery clamp with stud over the original battery post.

G_16070G_SW_1.gif

Dave, good suggestion. Didn't know there was that type of post made. Can these be picked up at hardware store or automotive store? I'll get the battery checked out first to see if any cells were damaged.

I would get a triangle shaped file and work on the threads above the nut. Usually can fix the threads, so the nut can be worked loose,or another nut can be put on top. I would NOT use power tools or go hammering on the post with a nutsplitter, I think that will destroy the battery. I would probably "take a break", so my TICKED attitude would settle down. Then work on it gently, so I didn't damage it more. mad I would be surprised if those clamp-ons will fit the marine battery post. They aren't the same size as a car battery post. easy-does-it, on a file should be your best chance. GOOD LUCK

surface,

never saw one of those threaded....might work.

I've fixed a lot of threads with a triangle file, when they were buggered-up. As long as you can get to it easy....doesn't work so good in a hole though eek Then the nut will clean up the small remainder, when you turn it off.

Everything we suggest, though, is a guess....we haven't seen the damage.

Originally Posted By: Dave
Maybe you could possibly fit another battery clamp with stud over the original battery post.

G_16070G_SW_1.gif

Dave, good suggestion. Didn't know there was that type of post made. Can these be picked up at hardware store or automotive store? I'll get the battery checked out first to see if any cells were damaged.

If you are willing to drive south to St. Francis, the automotive parts shop on 47 has these for Marine batteries. In the back of the shop by the battery stuff. If I remember right, they are 10 or 12 bucks. Might be worth looking to save the agravation.