• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Homemade Tartar-sauce

Anyone have any "must-make" homemade tartar sauce recipes? I normally buy the jar-stuff, but think it's time to elevate the game a bit. I recently ate lunch at the loon-something or lazy-loon in downtown Minneapolis. I had a great fish-sandwich and an appetizer of walleye fingers. They had 2 tartar sauces on the table. One was a chipotle tartar and one was a jalepen~o tartar. Both excellent. It prompted me to post this one to see what others make.

I make my own all the time and it varies a bit but the base is mayo, relish, fresh lemon juice, and salt n pepper...

I like to use dill relish instead of a sweet relish. The fresh lemon juice really adds a nice taste. I'll also finely chopp some onion in it sometimes. Chipotle pepper flakes is something I like to add to some batches also - just enough for some heat and smokieness. Some cajun seasoning is nice instead of the chipotle too...

1/2 C. real Mayo

Zest of one fresh lemon

1-Tbsp. Fresh Lemon Juice

1-Tbsp. Ketchup

2 Tbsps. Chopped Capers

1-Tbsp. finely Chopped Shallot

Tabasco to taste

freshly grated black pepper to taste.

Mix all ingredients in a non-reactive stainless or glass bowl.

Let me know what you think when you've had this on Crab cakes or your favorite fish.

Chef

I know I'm gonna hear it from the culinary experts on this one but I use Mayo and Ketchup 50/50. I don't know if that qualifies as tartar sauce but I've been eating it since I was a kid and I love it. It's just one of those things, I guess. These recipes sound great though, I'll have to try them.

I know I'm gonna hear it from the culinary experts on this one but I use Mayo and Ketchup 50/50. I don't know if that qualifies as tartar sauce but I've been eating it since I was a kid and I love it. It's just one of those things, I guess. These recipes sound great though, I'll have to try them.
I've never tried it on fish but I mix that up for dip for potato chips once in a while.

Cool!

I totally agree, you don't have to follow every rule of true "Cheffery" when creating a concoction. Just use your imagination and your taste buds and you'll end up with something you'll like.

I'll make scratch home made Mayo for some of my dishes and I'll use short-cut recipes for others as long as the results are equal.

I know it's completely different, but instead of tartar sauce (or sometimes to compliment it) we use Sweet Chili sauce by Maggie/Taste of Asia. My brother brought it to my cabin once and won us over. Everyone who does the pepsi challenge between tartar sauce and the chili sauce always keeps dipping their fried fish in the chili. I've find this stuff at Cub and Rainbow.

I don't care for horseradish and I prefer Miracle Whip to mayo. So I just add some sweet relish, lemon juice, garlic powder, salt and a shot or two of hot sauce. I also throw in a liberal amount of regular Mrs. Dash.

I bring this one on fishing trips and we never have enough no matter how much I make.

REAL Mayo

equal parts very finely chopped

-onions

-olives w/pimento

-dill pickles

whole small capers.

Add a small amount of the pickle and olive juice to give it the right consistency.

ground red pepper to taste (optional)

Tartar!!!

Who eats a good burger without something to top it??? Not many.

Well, fish is the same to me. Top it with tartar.

1/2 cup mayo

1/2 cup relish

1/2 cup finely diced yellow onion

dash of minced garlic

dash of garlic salt

dash of pepper

dash of seasoned salt

Let sit for a few hours, and pile it on!!!!!