• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Scout Lake Resort Lac Seul?

Chaff - Our group of 6 fished out of Scout Lake's outpost on McKenzie Bay several years. That was about 10 years ago, so I can not comment directly on the fishery on that end of the lake today. What I can tell you is that Roland and Liz were great hosts. I still visit them each year at the Sports Show and am welcomed as a friend. Good people on a great lake, what's not to like? If you have fished Lac Seul you know what I mean, if not you are in for a treat. By all means go, you will have a ball.

Lakeside and ozzie thanks for replying. If I had any doubts I don't now. It is 2 months away but I am getting excited already. I'll post a report when I get back.

Anybody have any tips on what to use? I will be bringing jigs and twister tails. Last time I was in Canada some guys gave us some beef heart and we cut off chunks and tipped our jigs with it. Worked real well and it was very durable.

chaffmj -

Don't waste the beef heart on the fish. Save it for yourself cause that stuff is delicious. My wife's uncle is a farmer and we tell him that any time he butchers cows, save the lickers and the tickers for us. Good eats!!!

salted minnows worked well for us the years we went up to Lac Seul and we went right around the same time frame you are going......also flat of crawlers is a good idea otherwise I would think about some gulp alive leeches and other minnows for the walleyes and bring some syclops and other various spoons for the northers

I have taken my family, wife and 2 boys, to Scout Lake Lodge for 4 years. Lac Seul is an incredible walleye lake. Scout Lake, which connects to LS, is also a very good walleye lake but more about that later. My best advice is to keep things simple but most people don't believe me. You don't have to go far to catch walleyes. Most groups seem to head 20-30 miles out into the lake and they do catch fish but you don't have to go that far. Head out into the Bay of Islands and start fishing reefs and points off the many islands. Starting depth to target is 5- 25 feet but I have seen the eyes deeper at times. If you don't catch much within 15-20 minutes move onto the next reef, hump, or point off the shore. Presentation we used was live bait on bottom bouncers. Don't be afraid to fish shallow. Be prepared to use minnows, crawlers, and leeches. Now to discuss Scout Lake. When we first started going to Scout Lake my boys were young and didn't want to stay out and fish LS all day so after shore lunch we would head in to the cabin. Rollie, who is now retired, said you could catch some nice fish off the dock. I'm thinking who comes to Canada to dock fish? Well a day later when we tried it my jaw dropped. Some evenings we would catch 30-40 eyes off the dock. They have a large dock system and the water depth at the far edge of the dock is 14 feet. That's why you need leeches because you want to slip bobber the dock with leeches which we would do up to dark. If you don't know how to slip bobber you might want to learn. Largest eye off the dock was by my son and was 29 inches, too many 24-26 inch eyes to count. Get a good map of LS and study it prior to going, it might make the time pass quicker. Search the web to find where you can get a map, if you find a site you need the northwest section of Lac Seul. I know where but not sure I can mention the HSOforum on this HSOforum. The dock fishing was incredible 2 years, mediocre one year and bad one year(I suspect due to the heat in August). Enjoy Lac Seul, fishing in the states will never be the same or as exciting.