• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trouble at Stop Lights!!

leech~~

I bought one of those little 150 Scooters to get around up north at the camper when my wife has the SUV in town. Having a lot of trouble getting the stop lights to change at the intersections!! mad I guess it's to small to trigger them? Anyone else having this problem? frown

stop lights are triggered by a magnetic sensor in the road and sometimes bikes/scooters won't trip them. MN statute says that if you've waited a "reasonable amount of time" you can go... ie...if the light has cycled a time or two without giving you a green.

Ryan, I would really like to see a copy of that if you could find it. Maybe I'll have to keep it on my bike to show the cops when I go through the light!! crazy Thanks for the info.

I can promise you that this is a law. I'm not sure what the statute # is though. It will be in the 169 chapter of the state statutes. Do a search of MN state statutes, and they have the statute books on line. It is also in the motorcycle training manual.

From statute 169.06

Subd. 9.Affirmative defense relating to unchanging traffic-control signal.(a) A person operating a motorcycle who violates subdivision 4 by entering or crossing an intersection controlled by a traffic-control signal against a red light has an affirmative defense to that charge if the person establishes all of the following conditions:

(1) the motorcycle has been brought to a complete stop;

(2) the traffic-control signal continues to show a red light for an unreasonable time;

(3) the traffic-control signal is apparently malfunctioning or, if programmed or engineered to change to a green light only after detecting the approach of a motor vehicle, the signal has apparently failed to detect the arrival of the motorcycle; and

(4) no motor vehicle or person is approaching on the street or highway to be crossed or entered or is so far away from the intersection that it does not constitute an immediate hazard.

(B) The affirmative defense in this subdivision applies only to a violation for entering or crossing an intersection controlled by a traffic-control signal against a red light and does not provide a defense to any other civil or criminal action.

Thanks Guys! I like the "Unreasonable time" thing. I think I'll just stop and go if no cars or Cops are around!! grin

Sparky, do you really think the Big Magnet thing would work? Huum. May have to go to AxMan and see if they have a big cheap one! wink

I know this has been discussed before and I thought it was something like 45 seconds.

Glad this was brought up again since I'm still looking at a bike and there's a couple "7 minute lights" on the way to work.

leech, that's not the purpose of the law. you still need to wait. and they mean wait for more than a few seconds. you won't win that one in court. besides, there will almost always be another vehicle in the intersection to trip the light. this law would come into play if you are waiting for a green left arrow or something similar. I don't want to see anyone misinterpret this and get a ticket, or worse, get injured or killed. I've never heard of the magnet thing on the bottom....sounds like it would work though!!

About the magnet, just saw it in a magazine once, I have no first hand experience with one. If I come to an intersection, I try to get the bike right over one of the asphalt cuts where the sensors are, or pull just far enough ahead so the car behind me can get onto the sensor. As far as I can remember, I have never had a problem not getting a light.

What is this magnet sensor?? I've never seen any road crews put a special device in the roads at intersections. I always thought the sensor was up by the lights. With a motorcycle its not big enough to be seen by the sensor. If I'm sitting at a light at night and flick my high beems on and off really fast it will trip the light. Am I completely wrong on this??

There is like three different systems for light changes. Timing where they just switch at a set time. Cameras up on top of light poles mainly at bigger intersection. And the sensors they bury at intersections to sense when a big metal object is over it. Those are the big problem ones for little mostly plastic Scooter and smaller cycles. Oh and of course the ones the cops get to use to switch the light which we don't get to play with! frown

Years ago at an experienced riders course we were told to try to hit the corners of the cuts in the pavement (the rectangular ones about a car length away from the intersection) to trip the lights ,,I dont have a problem with lights but I also dont have very many lights where I choose to ride

I have no clue how those sensors work, but I have been stuck at a light a couple different times. I waited a bit until it was obvious it wasn't going to change, then I proceeded with caution. No problem! As long as you are safe and logical about it, you will never have any problem.

I would have to agree with the left turn signal vs a straight up light.

But I also think if your at a light for more that two cycles and it doesn't change you can use this law to go through it.

But you better make sure it's clear and no cars coming up behind you to trip it.

Also there is a device out there that you cn use to change the light, and I think there is another pasive device that is specificly for the cycles that trips lights as well.

Thanks, Benny

My Bro works for MNDOT, he's the guy that sets up the lights for road repair and painting crews etc. We went for a ride one day and we got to talking about the length of, and the insensitivity of some of the traffic lights. As stated in an earlier thread, the lights are switched by cameras, timers and magnetic field. YES!!For the magnetic field switchers, the magnet thing does work, I have a heavy duty 'retrieving magnet' under my bike just ahead of the kickstand. It uses one 1/4" bolt, the kickstand hangs lower than the magnet, and doesn't effect anything on the bike. Makes a world of difference in time spent waiting for uncooperative lights though! I got mine from Northern. I also have another that I use in the boat/ fish-house. Saved my behind a couple times. Phred52

I once got a ticket for running a red light while sitting at the lights for I would guess two times through the lights cycle. I told the police about the law where it allows motorcycles to go through since the bike wont trigger the lights to change. He looked at me like I was crazy. I told him I would see him in court to fight the ticket. I showed up and I told the judge about it and he looked at me like I was crazy also. I told him the statue and they looked it up. They both looked at each other and dismissed the ticket. Im sure they felt kinda stupid about this for now knowing this. I bet alot of people dont know this. If you do get a ticket, make sure you fight it.

Sunday afternoon I came to an intersection where a fellow biker had been waiting (as per him) at least 8 minutes. I pulled next to him, the lights cycled and off we went. He had a 350ish dirtbike and I had my 1100. Well we both ended up at the same store parkinglot, talked about the *%@$ stoplights and I asked if he had some 'extra time'. He did, so we got my 'fish house retrieval magnet' and we went back to the same intersection. He, in the front, and me about 15' back. The light cycled and we went through! 3 things happened there. 1) I made a new biker friend. 2)We proved the magnet thing works! and 3)Northern tool sold (at least) another magnet!! Granted ALL intersections aren't controlled by mass of metal at the intersections, but WHY wait at the ones that are??? Phred52

I've been looking lately for the big squares or rectangles at intersections and in my area most intersections have them. They look like a 1/2" square tube laid into the asphalt or cement right at the intersections...usually 2 or more in a row. If you drive directly over the left or right side my bikes always trip the lights. Sometimes rolling through and past these squares doesn't trip them and I've had to pull up and wave a car behind me to pull up close to trip the light.