• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Frontline

portageman

I have Frontline Plus (applied April 2nd) for 50-70ish pound dogs on my 53-lb Plott Hound.

She rolled over for a belly rub and there was a Deer Tick with the head fully in, starting to fill up with blood.

I got a tweezers, needle nose plier and couldn't believe how hard of a pull I was giving and it just wouldn't budge. Finally broke off, and I left a little piece of black in the dog. I'm really hoping this is just pieces of the mouth, because of it being a deer tick.

It probably had been on her for 12-14 hours, there was a quarter size red rash around the tick on her bare belly skin.

Should I be concerned yet? This is the first deer tick I have ever pulled off of a dog.

About 10% of deer ticks carry lymes. I've treated several sleddogs for, even myself last fall. Don't worry about the rash, it's common after a bite and not indicative of the disease. Instead watch the dogs behavior. The first dog of mine that got lymes was a Samoyed. He'd be bouncing a ball every night when I came home. With limes he'd just lay there hardly lifting his head. 24 hrs on antibiotics he was back to bouncing the ball. For me I ached in random places, muscles sore to the touch, not to move. When the random aches started in joints I went on the antibiotics and 24 hrs later I was back bouncing the ball too!

Also, each spring my dogs all get preventative shots. They're not 100% but better than nothing and not very costly.

I have Frontline Plus (applied April 2nd) for 50-70ish pound dogs on my 53-lb Plott Hound.

She rolled over for a belly rub and there was a Deer Tick with the head fully in, starting to fill up with blood.

I got a tweezers, needle nose plier and couldn't believe how hard of a pull I was giving and it just wouldn't budge. Finally broke off, and I left a little piece of black in the dog. I'm really hoping this is just pieces of the mouth, because of it being a deer tick.

It probably had been on her for 12-14 hours, there was a quarter size red rash around the tick on her bare belly skin.

Should I be concerned yet? This is the first deer tick I have ever pulled off of a dog.

Yep go to the vet and tell them what you just said it is easily controlled early. After long periods it can get ugly.

I took the pup out for a swim yesterday, came home and the wifey found 9 ticks on ME! Dog was clean as we know, I think I am going to buy some FL tonight, some for the pup and a lot for me lol

Be careful with the "Bio-Spot"... My lab had a bad reaction to it and lost most of his hair down his dorsal line down the spine. I switched to Frontline at the Vets suggestion and had no further problems....

Be careful with the "Bio-Spot"... My lab had a bad reaction to it and lost most of his hair down his dorsal line down the spine. I switched to Frontline at the Vets suggestion and had no further problems....

I use Frontline too. But Frontline also did what is described above to my friends lab.

I have used both Frontline and BioSpot on my two labs. Neither has had a tick when using either product. As said above, reactions can happen to any of these products. Both work very well in my opinion.

There was some mention of buying Frontline at WallyWorld. Is Frontline now an over the counter medicine? When I buy Frontline I always get mine through my vet.