Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Deitz Dittrich

Crex Meadow.

15 posts in this topic

Well, I decided to go up to my cabin this holiday weekend, the cabin is only a little over a mile from Crex Meadow in Wisconsin. I took my bird book, my mother and father went with me and we set out to see how many different kinds of birds we could identify..

Here is what we found..

Mallard

Bufflehead

Ringneck

Swans

Canada Goose

Turkey

Rough Legged Hawk

Then there was one smaller duck, only saw one of them.. wish I would have taken a picture of it, but it was too far away for my point and shoot.. anyway. It was a smaller bird(1/2 size of mallard? maybe slightly larger than 1/2 the size) all brown in color(I assume female). But its beak was really small, I mean really small, and seemed to have a slightly longer neck, almost greebe like? Any idea what it might have been?

I understand the Crex is a busy place with all the variety this time of the year. Lucky you have a place so close DD. Not sure on the ID, tough to tell for me without a picture.

Deitz, check out pied-billed grebe in your bird book and see if that matches your mental pic of the bird.

Quote:
Then there was one smaller duck, only saw one of them.. wish I would have taken a picture of it, but it was too far away for my point and shoot.. anyway. It was a smaller bird(1/2 size of mallard? maybe slightly larger than 1/2 the size) all brown in color(I assume female). But its beak was really small, I mean really small, and seemed to have a slightly longer neck, almost greebe like? Any idea what it might have been?

I'm going with a Pied Billed Grebe. Here is one I shot about a year ago in Crex. Does this look like the species?

96149880.jpg

Ding ding ding.. we have a winner.. thats it.... Thanks guys.. Foss, I have invited you before.. if ever interested.. let me know.

Or you can just check the Buzzsaw Photo Field Guide to the Birds. gringringrin

I'll second that! Buzzsaw has better photos than any bird book I have looked at.

Originally Posted By: Steve Foss
Or you can just check the Buzzsaw Photo Field Guide to the Birds. gringringrin

I'll second that! Buzzsaw has better photos than any bird book I have looked at.

DOHHH! grin Gracious, I appreciate that!

Deitz, you saw turkeys. Are you hunting them up there again this year? I think the numbers are down from past years with two hard winters in a row.

DonBo- I am not hunting them this year. But spent quite a bit of time in the woods this last weekend.. I saw a lot of turkey sign up your way. And saw quite a few birds over my way.. I would say numbers are about the same from what I have seen, maybe slightly lower?

Debbie, it's near Grantsburg, just across the Wisconsin border east of Pine City (within easy striking distance from the Twin Cities.) Crex Meadows has lots of info on their Web site.

I live in Chisago City(just out of forest lake) and it only takes me about 40 mins to get to Crex.. its a wonderful place for birders, lots of waterfowl.