• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

which side of windblown structure to fish first

mrjigger

when searching for walleyes on a piece of structure, a point, flat, etc. that the wind is blowing across, what side of the structure should I start fishing first?

The side of the structure that is seeing the wind/waves first, or the downwind side?

I fish the wind first in general all the time...

The exception is if the wind has been blowing south for three days and now this morning it is blowing north, do a little searching on the locator first.. you might find the fish on the south side...

Also.. on some spots the fish hold a certain structure on the spot and it doesn't matter much what the wind is doing...

When in doubt, fish the wind...

Casey makes some great points - fishing tends to be best on the windy side, but it takes some time for the fish to stack up there. The longer the wind has been blowing in that direction, the better the windy side is likely to be.

Also, use your electronics to look for fish ---- electronics don't lie.

The guys have it covered. Don't be afraid to fish yesterdays wind if it's laid down overnight or switched. Fish gradually leave the area. So there will still be plenty of fish there even though things have changed.

I always start on the front-side of the wind blown structure first and then work my way down to the back-side. From my experience, the longer the wind blows from the same direction the shallower the fish will get.

thanks guys. Good info. This subject always comes up with me and one of my fishing buddies when we go fishing together. I say always start on the front side, he says back.

I have to say, typically we see more fish on the front.

Hey TO have you ever noticed the walleyes on Winnie seem to break the rules when it comes to wind? I see it all the time. Like the best time to be on the west side of the lake is a west wind. The bars on the south end get going on a south wind....ever notice?

Hey TO have you ever noticed the walleyes on Winnie seem to break the rules when it comes to wind? I see it all the time. Like the best time to be on the west side of the lake is a west wind. The bars on the south end get going on a south wind....ever notice?

Actually noticed last year more than ever, especially on the north end where we found some of those humps that were LOADED with clams.

Are those the ones you gave me coordinates for? I've learned alot from the resort owner where we stay. He said the north end humps are always best on some kind of north wind. You heading up in July again like last year again?

I gave you several; trying to remember which ones is a challenge.

Yes, I'll be up there in July again (and June).