• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

When does it go up?

Most of my stands never come down. They just move around a little. I do go out in late august and check shooting lanes and the condition of the stands (check bolts, squeaks...) I only hunt on private land.

Anytime from July on, usually August. I just pulled a portable on Friday. I've still got another one or two I'd like to get out in the next week or so. The snow got too deep before I knew I was done hunting. May hunt the same tree again, may not, I like to get the stand out of the element for a few months & then I don't have to worry about straps & pegs growing into the trees.

I've got a buddy that needs to move that will likely stay out. They're too hard to haul & take too much room to store.

Talking bow or rifle, ladder, portable, perm. ? Mine have been up since 1983 in the exact same spot(s). I have added a few ladders here and there but just finished for next fall, lanes, etc. My feel on getting a mature buck is to not alarm him close to the season, I stay away as they seem awfully touchy in the area I hunt and there are so few mature bucks, I figure it helps my odds to not be pounding nails or scenting up my area(s) so I'm all set for Nov.8th or whatever it is and I don't have to rush or worry something isn't ready to go.

Other hunters I'm sure could have a rock concert going on and bag a beauty the following day, but I stick to my theory. I think a bit to is they don't get too human conditioned because it's not multi-purpose land meaning I don't grouse hunt it or duck or goose and no one is bow hunting that area.

I like to do all my scouting and get most of my stands ready right now. The woods are wide open so you can see a long ways, no bugs or ticks, and you can see last years deer sign which can be very helpful for stand placement. I might sneak in and do a little trimming in August but I stay as scent free as possible.