• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

your 4wheeler choice and why

Tyler23

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After test driving the 700 Grizzly With power steering, well that sold me. I own a 04 650 Grizzly and like it. I wish it was an EFI just for the fact that I do some mountain riding while hunting in Colorado and would like not to have to worry about injector change out next time I go. The power steering was great. Had a chance to test drive one with and without tracks. I loved it. I love my 650 in all kinds of conditions. Has more then enough power for all that I have done with it. I think the 700 Grizzly would be better. If you can, test drive the Yamaha with power steering before you purchase one. You wont regret it. Have nothing against a brute force Never had a chance to drive one. They didn't have them when I purchased the Grizzly. I have driven others like Can-am, Arctic cat and Polaris. Out of all of them I like the Grizzly. It really depends on the type of riding your you plan on doing the most. They all have there benefits. The other thing I would do is to get a hold of the latest test ATV magazines out there and find out what they have to say about top ATV of the year. Many to chose from. And Google what ever

your looking at in a forum (750 Brute Force Forums) and see what people are saying about the particulate type of ATV you have decided on. Just my opinion. Hoped it helped.

MIke

Honda and I wouldn't think of anything else. Just read the previous pages here and you will see everyone else asking a question about problems they are having with the other machines. I've owned a 90 # wheeler still running only ever relaed the break cable. A 200 big red sold it to a buddy still running replace a recoil. A 2002 honda 500 Foreman Rubicon. Never a single problem..........ever.

The 08-09 Brute Forces are Fuel Injected. They are also an upgraded ride from the previous years of Brute Forces.They have an excellent engine, but I'm not a fan of their belt system. The Yamaha belt system is the best belt system of all the atv brands. Brutes have excellent power and speed, if that's what your looking for?

i want something that rips but i need to be able to pull my fish house and use it for deer hunting etc.. basically a quick fun to ride atv that i can still haul stuff around and what not

It will be a year next month, and so far my 2008 fuel

injected BruteForce is still letting the good

times roll. No problems with my belt so far. I will

say that I have not done much in the way of towing,

but given they have the highest tow capacity in

it's class, I am not too worried there.

I have mine set up for trail riding, with the four

wheel independant suspension set up soft. The V

twin 749cc puts true torque to the dirt with a

fuel injected boost that delivers!! From hills,

mud,or soaring thru the air, team green gets a

big thumbs up.

This winter was a blast too. I added a Ricochet full

skid plate set.(Loose the cheap plastic ones) The

skid plate has a lifting effect, keeping the ATV's

frame out of the snow. I was able to go in deeper snow

easily, while a friend's Artic Cat needed to have

me pull him out.

The Brute has plenty of rack space. A waterproof

compartment is standard, and very handy for wallets

and cell phones.Fuel economy is very good. This

one's a winner by me!!

Sounds like a Brute would fit the bill then! It does rip, and it will pull a fishhouse. The negative thing about is it's 4 wd is you have to pull in a lever for differential lock on it though. I'd also look into the Yamaha Grizzly 700 and 550 and the Suzuki Kingquad 750 and the newer 500. Both great wheelers for work and play and you could also get either of them with or without power steering.

From my experience I would never own a Polaris. Too many stories and first-hand accounts of problems with them. Search this site and you'll see for yourself.

Can Am's are overpriced. I have never ridden one or know anyone that owns one so I only have an opinion on them. They are FAST, that's one thing I know for sure! Don't know how they are for work? I know you need to buy skids for them as they have a weak frame, and they also run pretty hot from what I've heard from others. As I stated earlier the Yamaha and Suzuki may not be the fastest, but they are reliable, and great for fun and play. See if you can get some seat time on any of them your interestd in as that will help you with your decision. Don't base your rides to speed alone though!

Of course you hear of people who have problems with Polaris, many more people own polaris. There are more polaris ATV's out there then any other brand so obviously you will hear stories. If you have 20 polaris's, 5 hondas, 5 cans, 5 artic cats and hear of 2 polaris problems to every 1 other brand problems, the math tells me that polairs is still the best. And you don't hear 2 polaris problems to every 1 problem from other brands.

I know soooooo many people who have polaris and not one person who would own something other then polaris. Furthermore, I have never heard of any major problem going wrong with their machines, honestly. I am sure other brands are find, but once you own polaris, you will realize you made a great choice.

Brute Force 750 hands down. I got an 08 and have previously owned a king quad 700 and rode everything else that is made. The fun factor of the brute is far superior in my opinion than any 4 wheeler with a single cylinder. It all depends what you want. If you like a quad that has tons of power, torque and will wheelie whenever you want the brute is your choice. You can pick them up for a reasonable price as well. If you want to be in the back of the pack buy a polaris. In my opinion and from everyone else that I ride with we all agree on the same thing. They are heavy, not fast, and not reliable. I know a few guys who work at suzuki, yamaha, kawasaki, honda, and polaris dealers and they all agree that they get alot more polaris atvs' in there shops with problems.

If I didnt care about speed and low end power I would probably buy a grizz, rincon, or kingquad.

If you care about power buy a Kawi V-twin or a Can am800

you will save 2-3 thousand if you buy the kawi and there are tons of aftermarket things you can do to it

I do not care about speed. Don't get me wrong, speed is fun but when I purchase a wheeler the most important thing to me is dependability and the ability to take punishment without breaking down. That is why I prefer Honda's. If I were looking at speed I would buy a 2 WD racing quad. In my opinion any of the Japanese machines are better engineered and more reliable than any PoPo or AC.

Just my 2 cents

The main thing is (and it happens every time with a thread like this) to figure out exactly what you are going to use the machine for, go out and try as many different rides as possible and make the decision based on your own personal preference. Think about the comfort of the ride, the ability to add the accessories you'll want (because you will:) ) etc. Once you're in the seat, you may find things that matter to you that you're not even thinking about.

For every argument about why or why not to buy a machine, there are 2 counter-arguments. For instance, there is a reason why Polaris machines are heavier than the rest. Research it and find out why. Everybody has their preferred ride, but you need to find out for yourself.

If you make a decision solely based on what the majority of people say, you'll be disappointed when it doesn't live up to your expectations.

In my opinion, there are really no bad machines out there, it comes down to personal preference, and the feeling you get in your gut that tells you "this is the machine for me".

Happy shopping and share with us what you choose!

Of course you hear of people who have problems with Polaris, many more people own polaris. There are more polaris ATV's out there then any other brand so obviously you will hear stories. If you have 20 polaris's, 5 hondas, 5 cans, 5 artic cats and hear of 2 polaris problems to every 1 other brand problems, the math tells me that polairs is still the best. And you don't hear 2 polaris problems to every 1 problem from other brands.

Just to set the record straight.........

Honda continues to lead industry's unit sales race.

Publication: Powersports Business

American Honda Motor Corp. continues to sell more new powersports units annually in the United States than any other OEM, according to a statistics compiled by Power-sports Business.

Honda's standing as the market share leader in motorcycles and ATVs once again led the OEM to the top place in the Power-sports Business OEM Leaders.

ATV MARKET SHARE

Source: Powersports Business, AG Edwards & Sons, industry sources.

Honda 29%

Yamaha 21%

Polaris 21%

Suzuki 11%

Kawsaki 8%

Arctic Cat 6%

Bombardier 3%

John Deere 1%

All the manufacturers have made advancements in technology, quality and innovation.

My personal opinion is that each manufacturer places their emphasis on a particular catagory and concentrates on that.

I'm a mechanic by trade, I often work on and service ATVs for many people. I know which ones make me money and I know which ones don't. Having owned, ridden and worked on ATVs since 1976, my choice is based on the fact that I'd rather ride my own than work on it.

As you can see by my avatar, I ride a Honda.

In the end, as does everything in life, it boils down to personal preference for the task at hand.

As Titelines said, when you find the right ATV, you'll get the feeling in your gut that tells you "this is the machine for me". Only time will reveal if you made the right choice, and I can guarantee that your preferences will change with time!

if you are going to be doing a lot of trail riding and have the extra money get the can am i have a couple buddies with some one with a 650 and one with the new 800r and those things rip it is like the cadillac of atvs and it is the most comfortable suspension out there

The numbers above were published in 2005 which means it is probably from 2004. ATV's have changed alot since 2005 and these numbers have as well. I wont bash Honda but they have been the least innovative and have made relatively no advancements since then.

Macgyver55,

Thank you for your post. After reading CrappieBart's statements I was trying to find the numbers you put up. I did not believe that the Polaris was the best selling ATV out their. I think that the Popo is the best selling "automatic" ATV on the market. This is way different than total sales.

Also a very interesting statement you made about which ATV's make you money vs. what you ride. I have no interest in brand bashing but I will just say that I am a very happy and loyal Honda rider! My kids are still riding a 1984 TRX 200 that my dad bought for me when I was 15!

Lets get some stats from this year. I dont have to say anymore!!!!!

Polaris ATVs Win Three “Best in Class” Awards from All Terrain Vehicle Magazine

Minneapolis, February 13, 2009 – Polaris Industries today announced Polaris ATVs won three of the six ATV “Best in Class” awards offered by All Terrain Vehicle Magazine. The Sportsman 850 XP won “Best Sport Utility ATV,” the Outlaw 525 IRS took “Best Sport ATV: Trail” and the Sportsman 500 H.O. won “Best Value ATV.”

“Polaris is extremely excited to win three of the six All Terrain Vehicle ‘Best in Class” awards for ATVs,” said Matt Homan, vice president and general manager of the Off-Road Division for Polaris. “We’d like to thank the All Terrain Vehicle staff for recognizing the quality of our ATV product line.”

The 99 percent new Sportsman 850 XP takes the Sportsman’s power and ride to the next level. The ATV features a more-powerful 850cc, twin EFI engine that churns out 70 horsepower. Its upgraded suspension, including Dual A-Arm front suspension and Rolled IRS in the rear, makes the Sportsman 850 XP’s ride smoother and more controlled, with the highest suspension travel and ground clearance. To further enhance the ride, the Sportsman 850 XP has a patented, anti-kickback steering to decrease rider fatigue. The model also features better clutching, highest pulling and towing, and biggest rack capacity. Along with more power and a better ride, the Sportsman 850 XP has an updated look that includes better ergonomics, new wheels, and a better fit and finish.

The Outlaw 525 IRS was redesigned for 2009 with new, aggressive styling including a single headlight, lowered the center of gravity, conventional steering and a six-pound weight reduction. The model also sports aluminum heel pockets and front bumper, adjustable front brake lever and a steering post that accepts thicker bar mounts for easier customization. Polaris also moved the foot peg one-inch forward on the Outlaw 525 IRS and added 10-inch rear wheels on the Outlaw 525 IRS.

The legendary Sportsman 500 H.O. is one of the best selling automatic ATVs of all time. Re-introduced in 2008, this carbureted model sells for the all-time low price of $5,999 vs. its $6,499 price tag when it was introduced in 1996.

Polaris ATV enthusiasts can check out the award winners in the current issue of All Terrain Vehicle Magazine.

About Polaris

With annual 2008 sales of $1.9 billion, Polaris designs, engineers, manufactures and markets off-road vehicles (ORVs), including all-terrain vehicles (ATVs) and the Polaris RANGER™, snowmobiles and Victory motorcycles for recreational and utility use.

Polaris is a recognized leader in the snowmobile industry; and one of the largest manufacturers of ORVs in the world. Victory motorcycles, established in 1998 and representing the first all-new American-made motorcycle from a major company in nearly 60 years, are rapidly making impressive in-roads into the cruiser and touring motorcycle marketplace. Polaris also enhances the riding experience with a complete line of Pure Polaris apparel, accessories and parts, available at Polaris dealerships. Polaris Industries Inc. trades on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol “PII,” and the Company is included in the S&P Small-Cap 600 stock price index.

Information about the complete line of Polaris products, apparel and vehicle accessories is available from authorized Polaris dealers or anytime from the Polaris homepage at [Please read Forum Policy before posting again. Thanks]

The numbers above were published in 2005 which means it is probably from 2004. ATV's have changed alot since 2005 and these numbers have as well. I wont bash Honda but they have been the least innovative and have made relatively no advancements since then.

Sorry, the numbers were published in 2007 which were the newest ones I was able to find. If you know of more current ones that show a significant change feel free to post them.

Bart, winning a "best in class" award has nothing to do with total sales. Your remark was that there were "more Polaris out there" which is incorrect. I was simply correcting an inaccurate statement for the record. If you read your own post closely you will see "one of the best".... "one of the largest" not any where does it say "the most". I'm not arguing that they are not "one of" anything, All of the manufactureres are "one of's" at something.

I'm not bashing any brand either....As I said, each manufacturer tends to focus their efforts on a particular thing. I believe that Hondas' focus is, and has been for a long time, on reliability. It appears currently, that focus has done well for them.