• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Easter weekend snows!

I just returned from a long weekend run from North Dakota hunting snow geese with 4 other friends.

Wednesday evening we found a major migration near Wahpeton, something I've never seen the migration that far "east" before. Birds didn't seem to mind the snowcover on the ground and they were moving north, hard. We continued west and found an area of that was holding some birds and we deployed our spread into the wee hours of the night.

Thursday and Friday we found stiff northerly winds and cool temps, but the intense sun was very welcome. Birds were moving and we had success shooting around 50. Almost all birds adults.

By Saturday morning we needed to move as we weren't on the "X". We knew the south winds was going to happen, so a guy in our group scouted while myself and the others hunted the morning and tore down the spread of 1,000 decoys.

Reports were good, the "X" spot was found! We needed to go further west. We quickly grubbed up some food, tore down camp and rushed to our new camp and field nearby.

A gracious farmer allowed us to spend the night in this humble abode for our hunt...

1239635430.jpg

Ok, we stayed out of this old house but this is how we move with the snow geese.

1239635432.jpg

By the afternoon, the much needed south winds kicked up and it looked very promising. Birds all over.

Saturday evening from 4pm until sunset we shot over 100 birds.

Sunday morning we stopped another 40 on their flight.

When we returned to camp, the death toll was 198 snows, blues and rossies. Yes, we got into some juvies too...they are there and go get them!

Sorting out the kill

1239634560.jpg

1239634562.jpg

1239634566.jpg

A friend shot a Ross with this neck band, no leg band. If anyone knows anything about it, please tell! We are researching it. "K U3"

1239634563.jpg

I can't say enough good things about the wonderful people of North Dakota! Thanks so much!

Great hunting!!

As for the banded bird, goggle "report band" and then fill out the stuff!! Its cool finding out where their from and how old they are. I shot one a couple years ago that was 22 years old at the time!!! Let us know what you find out!!

Thanks for the compliments.

My friends and I have been hunting these snows for several years and each year we learn something new. I remember the early years dividing the birds up between us and all I had to clean were 8 after a 3 day hunt. smirk

We placed approximately 1,000 deks consisting of floaters in sheet water, northwind socks and many sillosocks. This year a couple guys in the group manufactured their own sillosocks (400), and let me tell you they were excellent. I was thoroughly impressed, they were better IMO.

2 guys stayed in Nodak and have been hunting for a week now. Times are tough out there I guess. Still a fair amount of birds, but the mud is absolutely insane. They've moved north and the conditions are very, very tough and the fields choices are not good.

I'm really glad I'm not going back with those reports. The new quote of the day "if I kill one a day, I'll be happy with all this work". shocked

Without that Otter ATV trailer they are suffering. I have to give kudos to that wonderful work of art...it saved us. From hauling all the deks, all the kill, guns, gear and not to mention passengers. 100 birds almost filled that trailer, and there was room for more. You can't believe how much weight it was!

I shot a lot of (poor) video from the blind that I hope to make a movie out of, if I can salvage some. I've never done it before and I can't believe how difficult it is to film. There will be a lot of editing... If I can figure it all out I hope to post something.