• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

HUNTING

FORD FOREVER

Yes, I have the itch too. I was fortunate to draw for season A, but shot my turkey at 9:00 Wednesday morning. It was just a jake, but I didn't want to take more time off just to hunt turkeys. Fishing trips & deer hunting eat most of that up.

It was pretty cool. I was walking back in to quit for the morning & I busted these 4 turkeys that were down on the edge of a big CRP field & a swamp. I was up on top of a hill in the middle of the CRP maybe 200 yards away. It's an old one so there's a stray small tree or shrub here & there, but nothing between me & the birds. The one took off, the other three milled around & then locked on me just standing there, not calling, & came basically right to me. The first two were too close together so I shot the third one at 35 yards.

Went as sort of a guide with my cousin that night on a different property & he got his, so we're done.

Cutting wood helps because it gets me in the woods, but then again it makes it worse cause it gets me in the woods & I get to thinking, now what about that tree for a permanent or maybe a portable...

Cutting wood helps because it gets me in the woods, but then again it makes it worse cause it gets me in the woods & I get to thinking, now what about that tree for a permanent or maybe a portable...

yup yup could agree more. Im going up to our hunting spot tomorrow to do some scouting. maybe ill find a shed or two yet.

the only animal I hunt is deer but wouldn't mind picking up turkey to for the spring hunt, but I don't know anything about hunting them.

only five more months until the 2009 bow season! YAY!

This is just my opinion, but read what you can & just start doing it. Hunting turkeys is a little different then deer, but as long as you can find some turkeys & get permission to hunt where they are they aren't that hard to hunt. There are some smart birds, but there's lots of dumb ones too. I've found that to be true in the early seasons, the middle, & the late ones. It's not that hard to get permission to hunt turkeys either. The farmers/landowners usually can & will tell you when & where they show up in their fields or where they run into them in the pasture or whatever.

Roughly 30,000 turkey licenses, maybe off a litte, 550,000 deer licenses. That equals a lot of land with little or no turkey pressure. Even when you take into account there's only turkeys in maybe 60-70% of the state.

If you plan on doing the late archery turkey hunt plan on a very tough hunt unless the turkeys have not been pressured. Count on very little gobbleing blind and decoy shy birds I have had my best luck during that season without a blind and no decoys. Start out how you would normally hunt them and let the birds tell you what they want. It's my favorite hunting they are way harder to get with a bow than a whitetail dont get fustrated some birds just make you want to hang up the bow and go fishing instead but it can be done in late season with a bow.