Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gordie

Moose hunting

19 posts in this topic

Anyone gonna try this yr. my boy and i are gonna aplly and give it a whirl. gonna try up in the Grandmari area friends got a place that were staying at. says everyone that hunts for moose up there gets one. just need the permit. finger crossed.

Hunted them last year definatly worth a try to get a permit. Some of the best table fair you can get.

Maybe someday ill apply. Is the land most moose hunt on public or private land?

Most people hunt public.

interesting, i havent looked into the moose hunt regs in a long time, what are the chances of getting drawn now? What is the area thats even open?

The odds are still really low of being drawn but I will apply again this year. As far as public ground a lot of the hunt areas encompass the Superior National forest and BWCAW. The potential challenge of a BWCA wilderness hunt is what keeps me applying.

Only zones in the NE part of the state are still open.

Thats pretty cool, isnt the herd really getting hit hard because of the warmer seasons we have been having?

We were drawn on our second try. Public land hunt. It really takes some time researching harvest numbers and zones, then compare numbers of groups for the zones, in or out of BWCA and your odds improve.

Numbers are down but they now have Bull Moose hunt only. BWCA is a real quality hunt. Outside of BWCA most people road hunt like you would for pheasant or grouse Just drive until they see one on logging roads in recent clear cuts and get out and shoot. The hunt is pretty much what you make of it. Been involved in both types of hunts and found the BWCA hunt much more rewarding. Its the closest thing to a western pack in hunt you can find in Minnesota. No denying its a lot of work however and you can run into some very tough weather. If you don't want this then be sure to apply outside of BWCA. Check the DNR HSOforum where they show all past hunts success rates etc. Good luck.

I hunted outside the bwca last year and the hunt is what you want it to be. We camped in a tent for the 11 days we were their and scouted during the mid days and grouse hunted when we weren't sitting in the tree. If you do your homework and find an area were the moose are I would sugest camping on that spot to keep the grouse hunters from disturbing them. And last year all the miles we drove scouting and grouse hunting we never saw a moose by the road most of the tracks you see by the road are done at night so don't think you can just drive down the road during your season and shoot a moose you might get lucky but you need to put your leg work in and find their rutting areas just like whitetails to have a good chance at taking your bull in years gone by road hunting probably worked great but with the declining numbers not so much anymore.

archerysniper what zone did you hunt I think we are trying for 72 not sure but ZI think thats it and did you happen to notice is there were any ducks winging when you were there?

I hunted zone 77 wich runs between sawbill trail to the east to caribou trail and north to the bwca boundry and I did see a few duck but not a over abundance of them.

thanks and we are in 72 if we get a permit the only down fall is I'm a die hard duck hunter and it will be killin me not to be duck hunting so we may try it up therefor some quacks also

Application packets for Moose came out a few weeks ago, except cover says "Mooose." Kinda funny. I'm going to put in...Need to start earning those preference points. I'd prefer to hunt in 4-6 years anyway, but its probably more like 10+ if the population stabilizes. I've got access to Saganaga, area 63. Trouble is there are only 4 permits.

10+ years their might not be a season unless we can figure out whats killing them.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• I'll be getting out again on Tuesday with the bow. It has been very hard finding time to get out this year, between work and a 4 month old at home. Last time out I spent 12 hours in the blind and saw quite a few birds during the middle of the day. Had multiple times where I thought it was going to happen but the Toms wouldn't commit 100%. Making a small adjustment this go round and hoping things come together.
    • Was thinking for hunting and maybe put a plow on it to use at my place up north. Wouldn't be my main driver. Was thinking around 15K for budget but that was before I did much looking mostly on line so far. But might step up in price for the right rig. And a lot of that would depend if I liked the newer V6 engine and 5 speed auto or 6 speed trany and less miles etc. Just by looking at dealer prices on line I would think a guy could find a pretty nice late model for around 20 or less. I think if I bought a nicer later model I would drive it more as they look like they have made the interior a lot nicer and more comfortable than the older ones. On the other hand if I ran across a real clean older one with the in line 6 and not to many miles for the right price that would be an option to. The drawback to a newer shiny one it might take a while before I ran it down the brushy trail.  
    • I am submitting this bird for Sutty on his behalf.     Forum Member: Sutty          
      Date: April 28, 2017
      Team Name: Team 2
      Youth Hunter(17 or younger): No
      Turkey Subspecies: Eastern
      State/Province Bird was Harvested In: Minnesota

Turkey’s Stats
      Beard Length 10 inches
      Spur Length 1 & 3/16" 
      Weight 22lb 4oz
      I certify that the measurements listed above are accurate to the best of my ability.
      Forum Member: John Sutton                       Date: 4/28
      Witness: Josh Tschida                     Date: 4/28          
    • Our MN hunt this year was just about as easy as they come.  Sutty and I arrived at different times, he was late, and set up on opposite sides of the field as planned.  I could hear the birds gobbling in the valley below in their usual spot, and they sat there a long time in the cold.  Sutty couldn't see because he was on the back side of a finger of trees because he didn't want to spook anything out since he was late...  Eventually they got down and proceeded to sit on the far hill for a while longer.  I could see a 6 or so males, but suspected most were jakes, and a few hens.     Just when I was getting tired of waiting, about 8:30am, I saw one gobbler enter the field and walk straight towards Sutty's position.  As the bird got in front of Sutty, another nice gobbler came into the field.  I called to him but he wanted nothing to do with me.  Sutty shot the first bird, and the second one didn't know what happened.  Of course Sutty came running out of his blind and scared off the second bird that he didn't even know was there.      Sutty just bought a new house and had to head home asap to help his wife with packing things, and his daughter didn't seem too interested in shooting her own bird this year.  Now that she saw how ridiculously easy it is she probably won't be interested next time either.      I figured I should get to the edge of the field the birds were coming out on, and as I started moving my blind I bumped some hens that hadn't yet come up all the way out of the valley.   I finished getting my blind in place and sat a while, but it seemed we had scared the remaining birds out of the area, or maybe they were just laying low out of the wind.  In any case I went to get some lunch and let things settle down for a while.     After a couple hours of eating and casting for fish that weren't there, I decided I would head back up to sit in my blind.  Just as I reached the top of the hill to see into the field I saw three big gobblers walking across the field.  I ducked down and ran around the edge of the field out of their view to get closer.     I crawled up to about 10yd from the field edge, as far as I could go without being seen, and started calling.  They liked what they heard, but wouldn't commit right away.  After maybe 10 minutes of me cutting and purring, and all three of them strutting and gobbling out at 60-70 yards they started coming.  I couldn't see them well through the brush I was behind, and they didn't want to walk through it.  If I was at the edge of the field I could have shot them, they were within 40yd.  They proceeded to do a big arc along the field edge back to where I had just walked.     After a couple minutes of not seeing them I picked up my call, they gobbled, and then I saw them marching in where I had just walked.  When I last saw them going this direction I had shifted to face that way, I was now facing the tree I just had my back against, which put my butt in a thorn patch and the barrel to one side of the tree.  The birds started walking to the other side, so as they got behind the tree I eased the barrel to the side they were going to come out on.  They started coming up the other side back to the field they were just in and were too close together for a shot.  Finally one eased out in front and I let him have it.  He tipped backwards and rolled back downhill, and didn't even kick until I went over to grab him.  27 yards with the range finder after the fact.       Both birds turned out to be very nice old birds with long spurs.     Sutty's weighted 22lb 4oz, 10" beard, 1 3/16" spurs.  I believe this is his best turkey to date.     My bird weighted 25lb 8oz, 10" beard, 1 1/8" spurs.  My best turkey by weight and age.     Sutty and his bird.        Me and my bird.  I shot from one of the trees above this rock I think.      
    • Got it done in mn.  More to come when I get home.
    • Go to a license agent and buy one for your desired season. Season C, is on process thru May 2nd. Season D, is May 3rd thru May 9th. Season E, is May 10th thru May 16th. Season F, is May 17th thru May 31st. Season F also allows anyone with an unused tag from earlier season to hunt this period as well.   Hope this help PF.  
    • How do the over the counter licenses work this year? I missed last season but would like to get out this year even though I didn't apply for the lottery.
    • What exactly will you be using it for? Driving around the country with the top down, hunting the back woods, fording small creeks?   Do you have a particular budget to stick to?
    • at times the prop will stop on mine, usually when I move it to turn, need to tear into it sometime, I have use fishelectronics for misc. parts
    • I might have to get out and test drive a few and figure out what I like and don't like. Definitly not buying new so Ill narrow it down a bit and then wait for that cherry to show up.
  • Our Sponsors