• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Moose hunting

Anyone gonna try this yr. my boy and i are gonna aplly and give it a whirl. gonna try up in the Grandmari area friends got a place that were staying at. says everyone that hunts for moose up there gets one. just need the permit. finger crossed.

The odds are still really low of being drawn but I will apply again this year. As far as public ground a lot of the hunt areas encompass the Superior National forest and BWCAW. The potential challenge of a BWCA wilderness hunt is what keeps me applying.

Only zones in the NE part of the state are still open.

Numbers are down but they now have Bull Moose hunt only. BWCA is a real quality hunt. Outside of BWCA most people road hunt like you would for pheasant or grouse Just drive until they see one on logging roads in recent clear cuts and get out and shoot. The hunt is pretty much what you make of it. Been involved in both types of hunts and found the BWCA hunt much more rewarding. Its the closest thing to a western pack in hunt you can find in Minnesota. No denying its a lot of work however and you can run into some very tough weather. If you don't want this then be sure to apply outside of BWCA. Check the DNR HSOforum where they show all past hunts success rates etc. Good luck.

I hunted outside the bwca last year and the hunt is what you want it to be. We camped in a tent for the 11 days we were their and scouted during the mid days and grouse hunted when we weren't sitting in the tree. If you do your homework and find an area were the moose are I would sugest camping on that spot to keep the grouse hunters from disturbing them. And last year all the miles we drove scouting and grouse hunting we never saw a moose by the road most of the tracks you see by the road are done at night so don't think you can just drive down the road during your season and shoot a moose you might get lucky but you need to put your leg work in and find their rutting areas just like whitetails to have a good chance at taking your bull in years gone by road hunting probably worked great but with the declining numbers not so much anymore.

Application packets for Moose came out a few weeks ago, except cover says "Mooose." Kinda funny. I'm going to put in...Need to start earning those preference points. I'd prefer to hunt in 4-6 years anyway, but its probably more like 10+ if the population stabilizes. I've got access to Saganaga, area 63. Trouble is there are only 4 permits.