• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Can you bowfish for carp in Lake Minnetonka?

walleyepro

I was just reading a reply in the What would you have done? post in the open water forum and someone said that since minnetonka is a muskie designated lake that bowfishing is illegal.

I've bowfished on tonka for years, and as a result of many lake homeowners not knowing why some guy had a bow off their dock, had the pleasure of talking to a few COs along the way too. Never had one tell me i can't shoot carp on tonka.

Anyone know for sure? If you can't tell the difference between a Carp and a muskie then you shouldn't be allowed to fish.

I have bowfished it. From a dock (with homeowner permission) and would jump at the chance to do it again, from my boat this time. This is the first I have ever heard of the "no bowfishing" thing. And I have run into many a CO, water patrol, and local Police Officer.

I meant from a boat near docks and other shallow areas.

I've always been under the impression that the lake was not in a "city". Is anyone aware of a Lake Minnetonka map that has city lines drawn through it? I want to make sure I look up the ordinances before heading out to the west end of the lake on May 1st.

There are city ordinances against it....but I don't believe they have the right to govern over the water on that. The ordinance would be for discharging of weapons(bow) within city limits. I know people that do it and have never been ticketed. Lots of big ones out there. Call the local Dnr to double check. Almost positive the city cannot govern there own games laws on the water. That is for the state to decide which would make all the ordinances irrelevant. Not that the homeowners don't call the police all the time.