• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Picked about 30 morels today. South of the Metro. Left a few small ones, and left a few that were already old. Also found about 10 wood ticks. Tonight's rain should get them to really pop!

I was out today and only found one small gray. My usual area is an east-facing slope, so its always later than other areas.The rain and some warmer weather should make the boom time start. I have another area where I cut down 22 diseased Elms for a church a few years ago. That should be popping about now.

Got out this afternoon around the Stillwater area.Searched alot of trees facing different directions,finally came across an area that faces southwest and found about 150 greys.All were around 2 trees.Good start,but we need more rain around here...

Went down in the Rewing area this morning and picked 4lbs of nice greys.They have a lot more moisture in the ground than we do around here.fnord,there is no way im yellin out if I find morels.Im more of a stealth mode kind of mushroom guy,even though there aint nothin stealthy bout my belly grin

well the spot I had was found out! I went to check on it the other day and found a biker couple all in leather bent over digging around with sticks, right smack on my spot! The girl asked me if I ever find any magic shooms out here!!!! I said No, I think you may have to go to a different STATE for that!

frown So I have to start looking again!

That sucks. You gotta find less obvious spots or places that are hard to get to.

Find a local public forest and start snooping around. Be sure to check the regs to be sure its legal to pick mushrooms. I think parks labeled as 'preserves' are off limits to taking anything out -- including morels.

Please find out the rules for each public place before you forage mushrooms. Don't trust what I or anyone else writes in a forum. I have found it best to call ahead, or talk to a park ranger in person.

My understading is:

State parks, generally you can take some, but not grocery bags full.

State forests, you can take grocery bags full if you want.

Preserves, generally you aren't allowed off of the trail.

No selling of mushrooms taken from public land.