• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went out for a little walk today to one of my spots thats usually puts out a few early in the year and ended up with about 10. Found them all within about 10 yards and didnt find another one anywhere else so there just starting up here too. Should be pretty good by next weekend if it gets as warm as their talking.

We found about 3 dozen grays and a couple yellows in SE MN. They too were all found in one area that must have just had the perfect conditions. We also found our first Ramps and cooked some in the shrooms. They were so good. The ramps are real mild like a scallion and blend very well into the food. Thanks jerkin'm for telling me about them.

When you guys are posting how many you found be sure to mention what part of the state! There can be weeks seperating the northern half and southern half of the state as far as when the morel's start popping.

Found the first blacks of the season yesterday morning. Small and growing in moss. Going out this morning for a more intense look around. Just starting up here.

Morels are funny, like someone said in an earlier post. There is a guy in MI that has figured out how to grow them commercially, but he's the only one. I have heard of guys finding them in the clearcuts by Leech and Winnie some years before I find them in southern MN. The Northfield area generally produces morels a week earlier than where I live, 30 miles west of Northfield. Sandy sol warms up faster than other soils.

That being said, we stumbled across a dozen greys and yellows near Faribault last Sat (May 2) while out geocaching. I went back last night and found about 50 in the same general area. My experience (40+ years picking) tells me we are at the very beginning of the season in S MN. Warm weather and a little more rain in the next few weeks will be the key.

Good Luck to all

Gary

Well today I came across a patch of False Morels, about nine...the most I ever found...

They were among some Pines, which is the only place I have ever found them...so be careful if you think you have true Morels growing amongst only Pines...don't eat them, they are poisonous...

There are other pictures on here somewhere, and my hard drive is getting too full to put more pictures into my computer...but I will see what I can do...

The good news is that they usually come up a couple weeks before the true Morels in my area...so not long to wait...

Hwy 95 area...Princeton to Taylors Falls Latitude...the heat is getting there, but still need more rain...