• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

eater size northerns

cbrooks

Doesn't matter what species I'm fishing, I seem to catch at least a few pike. Which is a good thing other wise I would be getting skunk alot of the time. I've never keep the pike I caught and I was thinking of giving them a try for the frying pan. What is a good length for eaters 18 to 24 inches? Should I pickle them? At what size would you consider to big to keep (the ones with trophy potetial)?

20 to 24 are good eating, one thing you may want to look at also is the color of the fins, the yellow fins have a yellowish meat that I don't find as desirable as the red finned fish that have a more clear and pinkish meat that you'll never be able to tell the difference between in a pile of eye fillets, the Y bones take some practice but its nothing once you get it down.

Yeah 20-24 is a good range. Smaller than that there really isn't a whole lot of meat and larger than that they would be getting fishy. Plus every lake has plenty of fish in that size range, not many lakes have plenty of fish larger than that.

I prefer 4-6 lb'ers for filleting as you get nicer sized fillets and it only takes a fish or 2 to feed the family, pickle the 2-4 lb'ers, and let the larger ones swim. I would say eat or release standards vary by lake as some lakes are full of 24" fish and others that receive lighter fishing pressure will have high numbers of larger fish.

Steve

Muskiefool,

Do you know if the fin colors vary by lake or are multiple subspecies present in some lakes? Some of the lakes I fish also have pike with green fins as well. I was just looking at some pictures and noticed most of the fish I caught were either green or red fins.

Steve

I've never noticed the meat color or should I say make the connection between the meat color and the fin color, that's a pretty good observation. I've also noticed that the yellower colored meat wasn't as tastey as the pinker/whiter fillets.

I tend to keep northerns in the 3-5 pound range for eating. I've been eating them since I was a kid.

last year I had some with those yellower fins and I got this when I filleted them : anybody know what causes this? hopefully this isnt in violation of the picture posting rules but i don't know how to describe it

073.jpg

i don't think it's a disease, i'm thinking something from the liver or something in its diet that causes a yellow stain? It only showed up once I cut it open, didn't show yellow on the outside

Thats a good point. I never paid much attention to the fins before but will do so going forward. It would be interesting to know if it is diet/other living factor related or if they are separate subspecies like the difference between a redfin and siskiwit laker.

Steve

There's nothing I hate more than pickled fish. GROSS.

Scandinavian food is weird.

That said, pike that are caught, filleted, and fried the same day are fantastic. I never keep ones over 24 inches.

Pan fried, batter/breaded, with whatever seasonings you happen to like is the way to go.

If I keep them, it's 24" or less for three reasons:

-under 24" are so common anyway

-not very tasty when larger than this

-at mid 20's" they can start to eat the larger prey and have a chance for trophy size someday

Keep waiting for that 42" plus fish. Would love to get a replica mount done someday if I ever get the chance.

There's nothing I hate more than pickled fish. GROSS.

Scandinavian food is weird.

That said, pike that are caught, filleted, and fried the same day are fantastic. I never keep ones over 24 inches.

Pan fried, batter/breaded, with whatever seasonings you happen to like is the way to go.

i agree... pickled food is disgusting.. im polish.. and my mother loves pickled herring.. YUCK