• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Portable Ice House

metrojoe

Question

I am looking at getting a new flip-over the top model ice house and I am wondering what kind would you recommend?
I looking at the single, double, and triple units. I am wondering if the double/triple truly have enough room for two/three people. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
A

12 answers to this question

I have a Fish Trap II and haven't had any complaints. More then enough room for one person and great for two people as well. Very portable and made from pretty quality materials. I've had mine for five years and its still works like new.

Good Fishin, Matt.

I have a otter mag it is sold as a 2 man but if you are like me with all the gear it is just right for 1 man 2 can fish out of it but it is cramped. the nice thing that otters have over fish traps is that you can stand up in them to strech

I am looking at getting a new flip-over the top model ice house and I am wondering what kind would you recommend?
I looking at the single, double, and triple units. I am wondering if the double/triple truly have enough room for two/three people. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
A

I didn't want to start a new post but this is a different topic. i am heading out to build a wood sled for my large heavy portable.
what kind of wood should my sled be? green treat plywood, particle?
i am getting a large peice of wood to set my house on, putting probably 2 2x4,s underneath with maybe a brace down there for added support, and buying cheap downhill ski's to add on the 2x4's. any ideas for wood or size of the sled i was thinking about either 4x4 or 6x4 sled since my house folds to 6x4. any help i am going out to menards in a half hour or so.

I've looked at quite a few set up at the Cabela's & Scheel's here in town. If I were going to buy a flip-over today, I'd lean towards an Otter (vs. Fish Trap). Why?...

Otter's have deeper sleds. Fish-Trap's new sleds are very shallow. The whole idea of having your shelter on a SLED is so you can put stuff in it. You can put a lot more in an Otter sled. But ... Fish-Traps come with seats, and Otters don't (available separately or talk to T-Bone!). If that's important to you, give it proper consideration.

Otherwise, they're pretty comparable (disregarding price) in my view.

------------------
Best FISHES,
Matt

Just bought an Eskimo Quick Flip III. There is a ton of room (6x8). It comes with 2 seats with room for a 3rd. The sled is not as durable as an Otter, but for the money that I paid (< 300), I can't complain. A few people checked it out on the lake and liked it a lot as well. Fishing 3 people with 2 holes each would be very tight, but I think you'd run into that with any flip style shack.

Big C., SS

I bought a Quik FLip III too - got mine at Fleet Farm - I rather lucked in to mine - long story - suffice it to say they were out, but I got a rain check on one, and they did honor that price ($299), but adding the cover and hitch to the package put me back up to $400.

I talked to several Eskimo dealers and the Eskimo reps themselves at the ice show - Fleet was selling them under cost at that price. The Eskimo rep indicated that this stemmed from the St Cloud area - where Fleet was involved in a price war with 4-5 other stores, it must have carried that price to all the stores in the chain.

Unfortuneately - mine is still in the box - haven't even had time to put it together yet, much less fish from it. Got to get my priorities fixed I guess.

UG

I just sold my old Fish Trap & bought a new Fish Trap Pro. I've been fishing out of it the last couple of days & I like it a lot. It has the same sized sled as the old 1-man, but it's turned sideways and has a lot more room under the canvas. Now I can fish comfortably with 2 holes, a lantern & a heater. In the old house it was always a little tough to fish 2 holes & have any extra room. The Pro is a little smaller than the Fish Trap II, but perfect for a 1-man. It has a front zipper door, so you don't have to flip the top to get out. It's great when you want to pack some snow around the house to keep the wind out. There's a window in front and a vent on each side. They can all be covered with to darken the house. The vents are nice not only to let in the fresh air, but to see tip-ups or whatever else is going on outside. There's also a new seat with a backrest. Vern