• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hummingbird 777c Display goes black

Pherris

Question

Today the screen on my unit started to go black around the edges of the display and slowly increased until there was only a small portion of the display visable. I shut the unit off for an hour or so while we fished and when I turned it back on it was seemed fine but after about 5 minutes it started again. Anyone ever have this problem? or ideas on what is causing it? All replies appriciated.

9 answers to this question

Exact same thing happen to me. I have a 787. I had the unit for over a year and It just started to happen one day. I was fishing in a light rain a few days before but other than that I don't know what would happen to have cause that. I first tried calling HummingBird, I think It was the weekend so all I got was a recording so I went to Cabelas where I bought it. Without a receipt I went right to the fishing electronics in the store. Talk to the fishing sales manager and he just gave me a new one wrote up a slip "told me to take it to the exchange and not to tell them that I had it for over a year and they would check me out there". I ask him what would cause that ,he didn't know. Ask him if that happen before and he said "no". So if the folks at Humming Bird don't help ya, try the retailer but try talking with the guys at the fishing department they will be more sympathetic and maybe you can get lucky like I did. Good luck.

Pherris, is your sonar running off of your trolling motor battery. I ask this because I read somewhere that connecting your sonar off of a deep cycle battery you run the risk of running into low voltage which is bad for the sonar. Try connecting to the starting battery. Not saying that this was the problem. I just read about it somewhere and it made me think that could have been the problem that I had caused my sonar to [PoorWordUsage] out on me.

I had a Eagle Ultra Classic do the same thing. I sent it in and they sent me a new one which I did have to pay a little for. There was a sticker on the replacement that said "Do not leave unit in boat under boat cover. The heat will fry the screen. So I take it out each time I leave it on the lift over the week.

Cbrooks,

I did have it hooked up to a trolling motor battery but also tried it on the starting battery and had same problem. I do occassionaly get a message on my bow unit that indicates low battery and that is running off one of the trolling motors I may try and switch that one and see if the message goes away. I have 3 units on my boat can they all run off the starting battery? Seems like it would be a big draw for one battery.

Thanks

Leech,

Thanks for the reply my unit stats in the boat in season and when it is not being used it is stored indoors. Thanks for your reply too.

Cbrooks,

I did have it hooked up to a trolling motor battery but also tried it on the starting battery and had same problem. I do occassionaly get a message on my bow unit that indicates low battery and that is running off one of the trolling motors I may try and switch that one and see if the message goes away. I have 3 units on my boat can they all run off the starting battery? Seems like it would be a big draw for one battery.

Thanks

Leech,

Thanks for the reply my unit stats in the boat in season and when it is not being used it is stored indoors. Thanks for your reply too.

I run a LCX 15, a 520C and a 997 all at the same time. The battery will hold up, this time of the year, its when you introduce the livewell pumps that it becomes a problem.