• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wild Offseason Thread

archerystud

Just checking on line for who the Wild returns and are wondering what others think the Wild should do? I think JL is gone and will retire and I wish DR would just go away. But for who is on the ice for next year.

I would like to see them sign Gabby IF the PRICE is right. They need some offense. I wouldn't mind seeing Belanger or Johnsson being traded for the money they are getting paid.

I think Fritsche looked pretty good and wouldn't mind seeing him resigned. They need to sign forwards that can score. I think they should trade Harding to get another good player/pick.

The Wild currently has 21.25mil tied up in 4 Dmen (Johnsson, Burns, Schultz, Zidlicky) and Backstrom. That is almost half of their current salary cap.

Thoughts?

From KARE 11 HSOforum, Jacque LeMaire steps down as coach. He will hold a news conferance on Monday. So now who does Risebrough name as coach? Someone from within or do a coach search? There will be plenty of names. Does this open the door for Gabby to return? Already the offseason just a few hours old will be interesting.

the radio broadcast team was saying that JL has called it quits, and the team has almost no chance to sign gabby since he wants to play out east.

then I get home to watch the rest of the game on TV, and these annoucners suspect that JL will resign, but now nothing for sure, and they think that gabby will sign with the wild??????

it goes to show you, nobody knows, and its all speculation at this point. confused

From the Wild official site...

Lemaire tells Reid: 'I think it's time' Minnesota Wild Apr 11, 2009, 10:50 PM EDT

Wild Radio PONDcast: Postgame report

Kevin Falness hosts postgame proceedings, which include Tom Reid's news-making interview with Jacques Lemaire (a the 11:00 mark)

Saying, "I think it's time for the team, the organization, to get a new coach," the only Head Coach the Wild has ever known announced that he was stepping down from the post he had served since the club threw open its doors to the State of Hockey.

Jacques Lemaire, who had said on Friday night that he had made the decision on his future but would wait to announce it, didn't wait long, instead letting Wild Radio's Tom Reid know during their postgame interview on Saturday. The Wild had just won its third consecutive game, and, despite missing the playoffs, Lemaire told Reid how the team was showing signs of playing the way he had "always dreamed" they could.

Reid, the Wild's radio analyst for games on WCCO 830, noted he had heard rumblings prior to the game that Lemaire was about to coach his final game in Minnesota.

You know, I still love coaching ... I want to stay in the game, that's for sure. I don't know what I'm going to do, but I want to stay in the game. - Lemaire"Well, you're right," Lemaire said. "I think it's time for the team, the organization, to get a new coach [and] get a new voice. You know, try to bring this club to another level.

"When I first started," Lemaire continued, " always said that there would be a time, a time that I'll have to go, and I'll see it, and I saw that time. And it's now."

During the short interview, Lemaire said he hadn't intended on staying so long in Minnesota, but the area, its fans and the hockey kept him coming around.

"First of all, I never thought I would stay this long," he said. "And I was pleased and surprised and impressed with the people, the fans ... same thing for my wife, because it's a place that she loves. I remember she was calling Minnesota her home. And, you know, it was great. It's sad to leave, but we have to do it."

When asked about how his players seemed to work for the fans, Lemaire said the following to Reid:

"This is something I learned through my career, through individuals -- you have to please the fans. And I mentioned this the other night after the game, I was just happy to see the fans enjoying the game the way they did. I just wish we would have given them 82 games like this. I know it's impossible, but [the fans are] there every night, every game, and they were patient and supportive."

After thanking Reid, Lemaire concluded with another salute to the fans.

"Thank you," he told Reid, "and I want to thank all the fans, too, because you guys just made my ... not my day, but my eight years."

Lemaire is expected to officially announce his stepping down as Head Coach at a Monday press conference at Xcel Energy Center in St. Paul.

Here are the Wild's UFA's: Gaborik, Veilleux, Kolanos, Skoula, Bergeron, Foster, and Scott.

Johnsson, Zidlicky, Nolan, Boogaard, and Belanger will be in their final year of their deals next year.

I can see them moving Johnsson because of his $5 mill plus salary for a forward but who is going to take on his salary with the cap possibly being less next year.

Bring back Gabby if the coach we hire is an offensive coach. If not, use his money to get a good C or F. Franzen is off the books as he just signed a mega deal with the Wings.

The Wild's farm system is not good so we can't look at them for any help. It will be an interesting offseason for sure. If we don't re-sign Gabby we still hold his rights until July 1st so we can still trade him for a draft pick.

Get rid of Johnnson, Skoula, and Bergeron and you have in effect added almost half a forward on their shifts. Might see a more potent offense not having to waste a forward covering up their mistakes. I'm a fan of JL leaving but sure would have liked to see his system with a competent D corps.

I think Johnnson does well he's just not a 4.85Million/yr Dman. But for that same reason I think we are stuck with him for another year as I doubt anyone else would want his salary either.

They probably need to sign 2 of the 3 of Bergeron, Foster and Scott. Then find some offense.

Could be an interesting year if the salary cap goes down.

The Wild's farm system is not good so we can't look at them for any help.

This has never made Risebrough look beyond the Aeros. Sure he's brought some decent skaters from there but they never really pan out to be scorers as well. Come on look elsewhere spend some money on a a couple scoring lines and keep Veilleux around for his shutdown abilities.

They need to figure out a way to sign Gaborik to a resonable contract and load it with incentives. When he is healthy enough to play he is one of the premier forwards in the league. He has a knack for scoring goals that cant' be taught. Hopefully this last surgery will take care of his groin problems and allow him to play a full season and 100%. I think he will light it up next year and hopefully he will do it wearing a Wild sweater.

I hope you guys aren't expecting some wide open high offensive attack coming here anytime soon.

I think we'll continue to see a very defensive orientated team. With a coach who's not in JL's league in this area.

I don't see Gabby being signed its just to risky long term. We as knee jerk reaction type fans can just turn the Games off and not worry about the business risk involved in signing an often injured player...

I see no chance in Gabby signing with us, at least I hope not.

Go Wild enjoy'em while they're here.

I think the Wild have a really good shot at signing Gabby back, he knows his options are very limited right now

I'm not sure about that, some team will take a gamble on him for at least one or two years. If his groin holds up after surgery then he will sign for big $$$ in a year or two.

I would love to see us sign him for another year only so we could trade him for something of value at the deadline next year. I really don't see him staying in Minny long term.

I completely agree, there's always some dumb-a$$ GM out there to overpay. Hopefully it's not DR. I would like to see him come back for a 2 yr and get traded at the deadline next year, assuming he has a good season.

I doubt that will happen though since the Wild aren't anticipating knowing who the next coach will be for another 2.5 months and so far the Aeros' coach, Constantine, is considered the front runner for the job, who also has a defensive style. So they can't wave the "we're getting a new, more offensive coach" bait in front of him.

The stupid Red Wings ruined my hopes of getting Franzen in here with their 11 year deal. They are going to be a really good team for a long time.

The new ownership hasn't shown any signs of changing how the team is operated. Why spend money on top notch players while the Xcel fills up for every home game already? Until the fans stop showing up for home games and the revenue starts to dip, it will be the same old Wild.

The new ownership hasn't shown any signs of changing how the team is operated. Why spend money on top notch players while the Xcel fills up for every home game already? Until the fans stop showing up for home games and the revenue starts to dip, it will be the same old Wild.

I'm sorry but the Wild have only been 2-3 million under the cap the past two seasons so they really can't spend much more money. You also need some wiggle room in case you want to make some moves late in the season, not that would ever happen. Anyway if you want to say they spent their money poorly that is fine but when they are already close to the cap they can't spend any more. This summer should be interesting, if we lose gabby we should have a lot of cap room to play with, hopefully we can land a couple of high end players.

There is a salary cap in the NHL. The Wild have been at that cap for a while now. Their problem isn't their willingness to spend money, it's the way they use their money. 3 mil for Zidlicky? He isn't good defensively and for 3 mil you can buy an offenseman which will provide more goals. 5 mil for Johnsson, don't get me wrong he is a solid defenseman, but I'm not sure he's 5 mil solid. I would like to see some offense come out of him for that price.

They were riddled with injury this year with Gabby being out. I don't care how much people hate him, they can't deny that he was a huge part of the Wild's success in previous seasons.

If they spend their money wisely and keep from having half the team on the IR list, I think they can easily make the playoffs and be successful. Winning a cup, on the other hand, is a ways away from where we are now.

With the salary cap I always figure that there are 2 parts of a team to manage. Free agents and draft picks but I really think it's starts with the later.

So in 6 or 7 drafts (I won't include the last couple since some of those players are developing) who have the Wild drafted that were really good players. I can think of:

Gabby

Koivu

Burns

Schultz

I'll add in O'Sullivan since he was traded away for Demetria although he wasn't drafted that long ago.

You can probably add in another player or two that you like (PMB) but who else has the organization really drafted that stands out? Whoever is making the draft decisions (DR I assume) is doing poorly and should be fired if you ask me.

IMO they have not drafted well and JL and his system kept them in games. With JL now gone it will be interesting to see how the Wild finish with lesser players.

3 mil for Zidlicky? He isn't good defensively and for 3 mil you can buy an offenseman which will provide more goals. 5 mil for Johnsson, don't get me wrong he is a solid defenseman, but I'm not sure he's 5 mil solid. I would like to see some offense come out of him for that price.

Right on about both of those guys.

The wild are in a bit of a mess with the salary cap, there going to have to make some adjustments and hopefully this doesnt put us in a rebuilding year for next year.

The wild need offense in the worse way, I don't know if we got the cash to spend. Even if we dump Zidlicky and Johnsson, that would put us in a whole at defense.