Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bobby Bass

The Creaking Floor

1 post in this topic

The Creaking Floor, a Fire Ring Story

This time of year we are deep into making plans for fishing trips for the upcoming fishing season. Since I have been fishing for more years then I am willing to admit I have had a few fishing adventures. There have been good trips and so so trips and trips that I don't even want to remember but they all seem to have something in common... A creaking floor. My house is an old house better than a hundred and twenty years old and no matter what we do to update it we will always have creaking floors. So every fishing trip starts out with getting out of bed and walking across the creaking floor to the creaking floor of the bathroom and then trying to make it quietly down the creaking stairs to the waiting truck and boat on the creaking trailer.

When we go on our fishing trips I am always looking for that creaking floor that tells me the floor has been there for a while and has some stories to tell. When I was younger trips were made more often. During the winter we would book a cabin at some lake we had never heard of and then come early summer we would be on our way. It got to be that as soon as I entered the cabin I would walk across the floor and listen for the tell tale creaks of well-worn traveled floor. Some of the cabins didn't make a sound, plywood floors nailed over heavy wood joists. Others would creak and pop as you walked across. These were the floors made from slab wood and attached to logs that mice had chewed on. Funny these kinds of floors were on lakes that we always did well on.

From modern cabins with running water and carpet on the floor to "Rustic" cabins where you had to be careful where you stepped the creaking floor has always been a sign of good fishing for me. Maybe the creaking floor is just something you grow comfortable with as you age. No one wants a creaking floor when they buy a new house, they want it quiet. They look at a creaking floor as a sign of something wrong. I look at it as a sign of something used. Might be the reason why I creak so much. I get up in the morning and my bones creak. Not much I can do about it except think about why they do, creak that is. Hauling canoes on trails far away from roads make my shoulders creak. Cranking on the trailer winch pulling the boat up at dusk from a little lake tucked away out in the middle of nowhere might be the reason my back creaks. Knees creak from maybe to many miles walking tote roads and stepping over down trees covered in fallen leaves. Chasing new pups through wet ditches and watching their parents work cover might be another reason. Hips might creak from riding in old well-worn pickups with bad springs on washboard roads. Or sitting on old wood planks for seats in the rowboat bouncing in a walleye chop.

They might creak like them wood floors, they might have gotten older and have settled some. Maybe the weight of all them good memories make them creak. My big old lab Bud struts across the floor in his old man's gait and the floor creaks under him. I am sure he has a lot of good memories and maybe that is why it creaks for him. They say the creaking wheel gets the grease but when you grease it, it does not go away, it just gets quiet. It's still there just like all of them memories you have, just sometimes you need to hear a little creak to pay attention again.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• ya but its fun! It was nice getting out i am learning alot watching them and being out there gets me more experience since i shot mine this year after being out a total of probably 6 hours for two days
    • Frustrating buggers aren't they!
    • well gobbled like crazy in the morning finally got a hen to come out she came 1 foot away from blind. Then 4 more came behind her 2 toms and 2 hens then the hens went back to the woods and one tom followed the other tom stayed in the open strutting back and forth just out of range then a crane came and he strutted at that then a goose came and he strutted at that they all came out just out of range and cut to our side. They sat there strutting at each other and couldn't get them to come in. One of them came back started walking to our decoys once again just out of range. Uncle tried to get out and go through the dirt bike track he's currently laying on top a jump within 60 yards of them no other options to sneak he chose the wrong way to go should have crawled against the burn... Man these buggers suck going to change blind spots next time know where they roost and see where they strut on the property. should of had a fan decoy out I bet that would have drawn them in
    • Well our lilacs were just starting to bud out yesterday and I was thinking we should go take a peek today. Unfortunately we got 2 inches of snow overnight and it's still coming down! I'm pretty sure Hubbard county will have to wait at least a week to ten days with the temps forecast.
    • Sorry...no excuses BB...the better team did win....4-1. Lucky for the Wild that Statsny was not playing from the start or it woukd have been a sweep. Love the fact that the national hockey gurus are ripping the Wild right now..and read local Souhans article pretty much what I've been saying. http://m.startribune.com/wild-again-not-good-enough-when-it-matters/420167633/ While Chicago is telling it like it is...the Wild are sending the wrong message...and Chicago has 3 cups in recent past....6 overall...pretty obvious which organization is trying to win the cup every year and which one is happy just "selling tickets".
    • Got off to a late start, but was able to get to the lower river at 6 AM. Frost covered the ground, as temps were barely above freezing. I could hear turkeys gobbling as I walked through the field. Once I made it to the wooded river valley, the sound of grouse drumming echoed through the woods. Eagles and ospreys continually flew over my head throughout he morning. The water was mabye a couple inches high, and somewhat cloudy, but was noticeably clearing as the morning progressed. 8 o'clock seemed to be the magic hour, as that's when I caught most of my 13 brown trout. Biggest was 16 inches, and had a few swipes from some dandies as well. Beautiful morning to be on the river!
    • So i have experimented with a bunch of brands to see which ones walk the best .... of coarse it depends on fisherman, rod & line being used.   7"2" Cabelas bass rod medium heavy tourney rod,  power pro 45# ...here is the order of best walking frog that worked for me off the dock.   1.  Terminator frog 2.  Bobby's perfect frog (pretty close to terminator) by snag Proof 3.  Spro frog (ok) 4.  KVD frog  (took some work) 5.  Booya pad crasher (teririble)   These are the ones i own ... terminator and snag proof where effortless!!!    
    • Running and gunning!   Congrats!
    • Nice!  WTG!
  • Our Sponsors