• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Anyone own a Alumacraft Classic 165CS

Gus

Looking at buying a new boat. The most common package I see is with a 50HP 2 stroke yammi. Anyone comment on how that motor handles the boat with and without a load? How does the motor troll?

Does anyone know if the Classic was always rated for 75HP max? All I can find data on is the 09 boats which are rated for 75max but I found another document that said the classic was rated for 50 max, however that document does not say what year boat or when it was published.

Wondering what your opinions are. Ideally I'd love to go max HP and 4 stroke but I think that is going to add way too much to the price tag. Wondering if there is a good compromise or not. Please let me know your comments guys. Any other comparably priced combos I should really look at?

My dad has this boat. His is an an older version, but basically in brand new condition still with a 50 hp 4 stroke Yamaha. Comfortable for 2 or 3 people to fish from. His had trouble with getting on plane with 3 adults in it and our gear. With 2 people, it moved along at about 30 mph and handled well. I owned a similar make of boat (SmokerCraft) that had a 70 hp Evinrude. Huge difference in getting on plane with the extra horsepower! Go big or go home if you can. Otherwise, just enjoy!

Gus, I agree with the above post. Mine is a 2002, but they called it a Navigator 165CS back then. Don't confuse it with the deeper, wider Navigator they have now, it is the exact same boat as the Classic 165CS.

The 50hp is OK with two people (28 mph), sucks with more. If I had my choice again, I would look for a 60-75hp 2 stroke, don't like the weight of the 4 strokes.

I know Sandmand has a 75hp Merc on his Classic and from reading his posts, it performs well. Not sure if Evinrude makes a e-tec 60hp, but if they do it would well worth the look.

Bottom line is I really like the boat, but a 50hp is not big enough for it. They offer this size to keep the price low and (hopefully) the sales up.

Good luck

157084627_o.jpg

I looked at a Classic last year, '08. They were rated for 75 max last year. I have a Lund Rebel which competes with the Classic. Mine has a 75 Yamaha 4s on it. It's very quiet and has plenty of get up. I wouldn't go heavier than this (369 lbs) for weight distribution. I also wouldn't buy anything less than a 60 hp for maintainint proper boat performance. I considered Yamaha 4s and 2S Evinrude Etechs primarily. Good luck!

I picked up the '08 Classic 165 CS with a 50/2 yamaha right before walleye opener last year. I'd have to agree with the other opinions that the 50 does the job but it is rated for the 75. I can't argue one bit against the 50 but the 75 could only be faster. Just picked her up out of storage last weekend so we're ready to go.

IMO - 3 people in the boat can work but it's a real comfortable 2 person boat with all the gear and other stuff.

Wish-I-were-fishin - do you have a tach on your boat?

9 times out of 10 if you think you need to add a hydrafoil you have a propping issue that would resolve it. In this case, you'd need to drop pitch, lose a little top end speed, but pick up holeshot.

marine_man

Ideally I'd love to go max HP and 4 stroke but I think that is going to add way too much to the price tag.

I've had 2 boats over the years that were under powered and wasn't happy with either one. If you can swing it, max out the HP. Maybe add another year on the payments or whatever but IMO you'll be happier if you do.

Thanks for all the responses guys. After talking it over with the mrs. we are going to wait a year so we can get what we really want. This will be our first NEW boat and we don't want to make compromises to afford it. We have a boat (78 Lund Pike) that will keep us on the water, so the new and shiny will have to wait a year.

Good call on waiting to get what you really want. Fall pricing can be excellent anyway. Also check out the competition, if you haven't already. Decide which one has the best layout, features, etc. I looked at the 16' Crestliner Fishhawk, Lund Rebel, and Alumacraft Classic. All similar, but all had different positives. Very similar pricing for these three. One of the dealers in town essentially sold me a Rebel for just a tad more than a Classic. Pricing for all three were within about $1000 or so with similar features, though the Crestliner was on liquidation from CP going out of business.

I didnt want to be the first to say you might want to check around but...I would get a Lund or G3. For one reason, the SporTrak. Its a great idea. Having drilled a few holes and more importantly filled a few old holes in gunwhales, I wouldnt get a boat without it.

I'll give my 2 cents on comparing the three I looked at:

Size: beam width Fishhawk, Rebel, Classic in that order

Rear Casting Deck: best on Fishhawk since it extends on sides all the way to transom.

Rod Lockers: bigger opening on Lund and double rod lockers. Good on Classic also. Single for Crestliner.

Layout: more room in bow for Fishhawk, more room behind console in Lund. Personal preference based on intended use.

Livewell: long livewell on Lund

Classic: Came with water separator filter from factory. I think it had the thickest aluminum out of the three. Did not charge for re-rigging with other motor choices. Nice looking dash. Did not have carpeting on inside of boat walls. Why I don't know; this would really class it up IMO. I didn't like how they didn't hide all the control wires either.

Rebel: IPS hull. Before mentioned sportrack and protrack to eliminate drilling holes for holders and snap covers. Aft jump seats are really nice option to give the boat more seating capacity and flip down casting deck. Slick looking dash. My favorite layout and interior/exterior appearance. For some reason, no bow storage vinyl cover on this. No bow storage area for trolling battery either (a must for weight distribution). I had to convert mine and re-route the wires.

Fishhawk: Cargo nets in bow were standard. Feels like bigger boat than other two, partially because of lack of starboard rod locker. Extreme bow storage is limited. Nice battery compartment in bow.