Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Go Gators

Boat steering cables

3 posts in this topic

I have a 2001 Tracker Tundra with a 135 OptiMax. The steering cables need to be replaced. This is a dual cable rack and pinion system. Do I have to remove the motor from the boat in order to remove the cables? If so how does one connect the hooks to the motor to lift it? Thanks for all your help.

Yes, more than likely you will need to lift the motor. Depending on the amount of clearance you have, but in most cases, you will need to. There is a special lifting eye that is normally used that screws into the flywheel. If you dont have access to one, be very careful with whatever you come up with. A creative strap configuration will work, just make sure it cant slip out. Make sure what ever you are lifting with also has the capacity to lift that much. You stand to pay more in repairs than you would to have a shop do it if that baby tips over!!! Be carefull!!!!

Lack of clearance is the issue and believe it or not I don't have one of those special lifting eyes. I guess I'll cradle it in a strap in such a way as it won't tip over. Thank you for the response.