• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Opinions on Canon Rebel XS?

I'm wanting to upgrade my camera, and am wondering what you guys would recommend. The Canon Rebel XS is at the upper end of my price range, I was thinking of more in the $450 - $500 range, and this camera lists for $599. But I don't want to be disappointed in a few months that I short changed myself over $99. Are there other cameras I should consider in this price range? Thanks for your help!

I was in the same boat as you just a few weeks ago. I was looking to upgrade to a nice digital SLR and looked at several makes and models...including the Rebel XS.

I am by no means a expert but the XS looked like a solid camera on the lower end of the SLR specturm. If you do a search you should be able to find my posted question and the responses I received. You might find this info helpful.

In the end, my wife had gave me a Rebel XSI for my birthday last week and this particular camera is AWESOME. From my research, its still considered on the lower end of the SLR cameras but its more than enough for me. I would encourage you to search the interent and you maybe able locate an XS or XSI in your price range. I think you would be happy with either camera. Good luck in your search.

Cliffy

blackdog I am always telling people to take a look at used Canon gear like a 20D or 30D that has been a backup for someone or if the person is upgrading. I have the 30D and what is nice is the fact that the body is made of magnesium and not plastic. Very often they will sell with a kit lens. When they were new they ran a little over $1100 and now you can find one with under 10,000 clicks for less then $500. They are rated for 100,000 clicks. I have had mine for a little over 3 years and have almost 6000 shots. Unless you shoot a lot the thing will last for many years. Good glass will not drop very much so look at that as a investment. Nikon makes good gear but I no nothing about the models.

I just picked up an XSi 12.1 mp called a 450D with the 18-55mm IS lens. Listed at $749 and got 10% off that yet.

Only had it two weeks and still getting familiar with it. It takes great pictures on automatic, but we're still working on the manual ones. wink

It's not too hard to find an XS with lens for $499; wait for sales either online or at your local electronic/camera store.

The XS is essentially what replaced the Rebel XTi, and the two cameras are nearly IDENTICAL other then the newer XS takes HDSC and the XTi takes Compact Flash. The XTi has a few features that the XS lacks as well.

There are still a number of places that still have Rebel XTi's in stock new, and you can get them around the $450 price range easily. I've had my XTi for a year now and love it.

The 30/40/50D series is canon's entry level pro series. They are a little more durable, but the controls are a lot more advanced then the rebel series. They are also likewise, a lot heavier.