• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Online Bird IDs

dockothebay

ID tools have been mentioned in a couple of threads lately and I thought I'd throw out one more that I recently discovered. It's at whatbird dot com and is the homesite for an iPhone/iPod touch app called iBird Explorer. It has an abundance of information, including both drawings and photographs, range, & field id info as well as audio bird calls. I like it's search features, although they take a little getting used to.

The HSOforum accepts images to put into the application. When I saw the information about submitting images, I immediately thought of all the spectacular photographs that are shared on this forum. The photographer does not get paid, but gets exposure. Information about submitting photographs is very specific on the HSOforum and seems to be quite thorough and fair, especially for amateur photographers. Many of the regular posters on this forum have excellent images - if you're looking for some exposure for your work, this might be one avenue.

At any rate, don't get me wrong, I won't be getting rid of my Sibley's any time soon smile I have found that I use a variety of tools for identification and information - Sibley's is my main book and the one I use most often; Stan Tekeila's book is a favorite at the cabin, especially for the kids; and the iBird app is fun, small and easy to use as well - the grandkids love it! When I know the name of the bird, this iTouch app gives me lots of information quickly.

Thanks again to all of you for sharing your work!